4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

A Network cable is unplugged

I'm trying to set up a small network for my own machine running ME, connected to the net via a cable modem, and my daughters PC running XP. My machine has a NIC card linked using a crossover cable (Purchased already made up, and I've tried another one as well). Her machine is a new PC with onboard-LAN.

I have had difficulty connecting the two, and at various times, I have had it running as a network. However I was never happy. I've just done a format of the disk on her machine, and re-installed XP. I now get the message

"A network cable is unplugged" flashing above the Systray, approx every 4 seconds.

As far as I can see, all the settings are correct. ControlPanel/System shows that the device is working correctly. MY Network Connections shows the connection enabled, but every 4/5 seconds, it then says "Network cable unplugged".

I've done a search on the net using Google, and it seems a fairly common problem, but I failed to find any answers. As I can't search here, I apologise if this is a "regular", but if anyone has any help I'd be grateful.

Thanks

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: A Network cable is unplugged

Have you established IP addresses for the two machines? Unless one is configured to be a DHCP server, you need to manually assign IP addresses.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No! Thats the very simple answer to that point.

I thought that WIndows Network wizard dealt with all that.

Do you know of any simple tutorials anywher to show me what to do. I am computer literate, but network ignorant.

Colin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Colin, are you sure that the network adapter isn't failing, and that the cable itself is sound?
    -Mark

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Does the machine that has the cable modem connect to it have 2 NIC cards and cat 5 cables or is the modem connected by a USB cable?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Mark

No I'm not sure about the network adapter.

It's a brand new Chaintech board with on-board LAN. I know that doesn't mean its not faulty tho. However the regular switching on/off seemed to suggest to me that something was forcing a disconnect, rather than a fault. But I've no way of testing that just now.

The cable also is brand new, bought to test the previous cable, bought from my regular supplier, just in case the first one was faulty. Both were bought assembeld as crossover cables, not made up in the shop.

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Dave

Yes there are two NIC's, and Cat 5 cables.

Colin

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am advised that the network wizard should do the job, though it didn't work for me. I have no experience of cable modems, as broadband is just a dream for me! Plus, I use AOL, which probably caused my problems.

On the XP machine, get a command prompt (Start | Programs | Accessories) and type ipconfig. This will give you the IP address assigned. On the Me machine, at a DOS prompt, type ping followed by the IP address. If that fails, type ping 127.0.0.1 which should ping its own network adapter. If this succeeds, there is a problem with the XP network adapter. If not, the problem lies in the Me machine.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Make sure it is not the "Firewire" network adapter.
    For one reason or another I have had situations where under network properties a firewire port was set by Microsoft to default into a network port.
    Disabling the port did not work. Make sure that this is not the Network adapter that is not connected.