3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Why can't I attach a template? (Word 2000)

I used a dandy template to help our team write procedure documents. One person, who has now left us, has a few documents that did not use our template. How can I force the document to adhere to our original template and the appropriate styles?

I tried the obvious (Tools > Templates and add ons ..) attaching the template, etc., but the document's Heading 3 is not updated to our standard. Very frustrating.

(By the way, where the heck is the search function on the site? I know I've used it before, but my template addled brain just can't spot it.)

Thanks

Re: Why can't I attach a template? (Word 2000)

Search is temporarily out of commission, but what you'd find is "you can't." Best you can do is to copy the styles from the new template into the document and hope that takes care of most of the clean-up, and do the rest of the clean-up manually. As you probably know, you can conform the character formatting of a selection to the underlying style by using Ctrl+Space, and I've heard you can conform the paragraph formatting to the underlying style using Ctrl+Q (or something using a Q). Hope this helps.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If the document has it's own versions of the standard styles then you can modify them using "Automatically Update document styles" on the Templates and Add-ins dialog.

If the document has completely different style names then you could use Find Replace to replace them with your standard styles.

If the formatting is manual then you would have to also select the text and use Control-Space and Control-Q to clear the manual formatting.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Curses!

Thanks gang! I'm seriously miffed about this, but at least I can stop pulling out my hair as I try to make it work.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>(By the way, where the heck is the search function on the site? I know I've used it before, but my template addled brain just can't spot it.) <hr>
    If you follow the link on the front page of the lounge to the newsflash at The lounge is moving then all will be revealed.

StuartR

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

By the way, just to clarify something that's mentioned in your subject. You can attach a new template to a document, but attaching a new template to a document doesn't copy that templates styles. When a document is created, it contains all the styles that were in it's original attached template. Then the link is severed. As Stuart mentioned, you can copy styles from a new template by checking the box under Tools/Templates & Add-ins/Automatically update document styles. But that only updates styles that both the document & new template have in common.
    Cheers,