Star Lounger
    Thanks

Files appearing to be moving by themselves

This is a very strange problem. I support a small company running a Windows 2000 Server. Files that are saved in one location are appearing to move by themselves. They are being saved in one location and then disappear only to turn up in a different directory. Folders are also moving unexpectedly. This has been happening to a number of employees. We do not believe they are being moved by an employee. Does anyone know or have heard of a situation like this? All company data is stored on the server.
    Thanks,
    apapkin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Files appearing to be moving by themselves

Moving by themselves? I've not heard of such a thing when it wasn't related to malware or a virus, but that doesn't mean it can't happen. Where are they moving from, and to? Is there any sort of a pattern that you can discern? I'm thinking there has to be a common link somewhere. You could enable security auditing to see what user/process is causing these aberrations in the Group Policy Editor - that may give you a clue as to where to look.
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

WyllyWylly:
    After sitting at the server with the main victim in this scenario we discovered to his chagrin that the "missing" files were saved in another folder with the same name. He thought he had saved them in his folder on the server, but saved them in another group's folder which contained a similar sub-folder. He drive me nuts for several days until could get over there. The CEO of this small company has now told me to restructure the entire folder naming convention and change the permissions on the shares. I have pleaded for months to have them let me do this.
    Thanks,
    apapkin

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, the user strikes again. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img] Glad you were able to figure it out!
    -Mark

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yeah, users. Would like to try doing without them, but then my service business would disappear.

Thaks,
    apapkin