2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Resource Scheduling (Outlook 2000)

I remember from back when I worked for a living and the office started using Outlook that there was a resource scheduling function. Looked perfect for scheduling conference rooms, projectors, vehicles, etc. Except that an official decision was made not to use it. So I never saw it used and have no idea whether it is any good. Now I am in a new office and such a function would be very useful, if it was any good. Of course we would have to adopt MS Office to do that. Anyhow, does anyone use it? Can you comment on goodies and glitches?

Thanks

Re: Resource Scheduling (Outlook 2000)

I could be wrong about this, but I believe that functionality requires Exchange Server. If so, you'll need to figure on some additional costs for the server box, OS, Exchange, and Exchange client licenses. If the new company isn't even using Outlook, you might instead look into an intranet-based solution.

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Yep. "Direct booking" (thats the Microsoft name for this) is definitely an Outlook+Exchange feature. I love it, and have just finished implementing it over here. No real gotchas - just the requirement to invite the resource as a "resource", not just as a required or optional attendee. If you go ahead. email me, and I will send you the instructions doc I put together.

For alternatives, go to slipstick.com and search for direct booking - they take you through different options with different versions of outlook etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, Steve and Ischer. We are definitely not going to exchange, so I will explore other possibilities.