3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Win2k reg streams

Sorry if similar q has been asked before, but the lounge search function seems to have gone awol.

My installation control manager is frequently pausing for a long time
    in the HKCU/software/microsoft/windows/current
    version/explorer/streams section of the registry, and I've also been
    noticing long delays in deleting files from the desktop, which I
    believe can also be related to streams.

Can I just delete all the subkeys here? Or do I have to leave the
    numbers and delete the contents? What other effects might doing this
    have? Or should I just leave it all alone and put up with it, as the
    aggravation I have isn't worth a clean reinstall of everything [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Win2k reg streams

It's possible that the key you're referring to got corrupted somehow. I can't say that it's safe to delete those keys, but you could back up the registry and delete all but the default values to see if they regenerate. I think it mainly depends on your comfort level with registry hacking - if it were me, I would boot to the recovery console, copy the hives to a secure location, and then boot back into the GUI and experiment. If something goes wonky, back to the command line to copy the original hives back to where they belong....if you tackle this, I'd be interested in hearing whether it resolves your problem or not.

Also, out of curiosity, how did you narrow it down to the streams subkeys?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Mark, I'll try. I haven't had to fiddle with whole reg files in Win2k - is it just the NTuser.dat from my "user folder" in docs and settings that I need to copy?

As for narrowing it down, I'm not sure that I have. But when the progress indicator on Install Control 5 pauses, the key name that's displayed in the status bar is the one I listed.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

No, the NTUSER.DAT is not what I was referring to. What I'm actually referring to are the registry hives themselves, which you can't do anything with from within Windows - you need to use the Recovery Console to copy them. You can access this via the CD-ROM when booting from it. They are located in %systemroot%System32config, and are named system, software, sam, security, and default. When I twiddle with the registry, I usually use this method and copy them to {hive name}.bak so that I can recover my registry in its entirety if I screw something up.

Alternately, you can back up the System State from within Windows, using the backup tool, and it will make a compressed backup of the registry as part of its process. That's probably easier to do, actually....now that I think about it!
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, I have some good news and some bad news about the registry streams.

The good news is that the entire key can be deleted with minimal consequences that I've experienced so far. The only loss is the explorer folder view settings, but these can be kept by retaining StreamsDefault.

The bad news is that nothing has changed in either the speed of installcontrol or deleting from desktop, favorites or documents (or pretty much anywhere else, but less consistently), so don't seem to have stumbled upon a panacea for all those little annoyances.

ho hum

thanks for the help anyway