New Lounger
    Thanks

Customize dialog box error (Word XP)

I have a machine with Windows XP and Office XP. If I try to right-click the toolbars at the top of the screen to get to the "Customize" dialog box, I get the famous Microsoft message that 'This program is having a problem and has to close'. This happens if I try to access the customize box from the View menu as well, by going to the Toolbars sub-menu and to Customize. It also happens in Excel and PowerPoint. This computer is on a network and gets its software downloaded from a server. However, I restored this machine 3 times to Windows XP and tried to install Office XP from the CD and still got the same result. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Customize dialog box error (Word XP)

Hi Jim:
    I don't know for sure, but have two suggestions.
    1. Post the exact error message, as it will sometimes help in finding the solution.
    2. There may be a conflict with an add-in. In <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>, I suggested various steps in solving problems. In this case, since the problem seems to be with all Office apps, the only step that might be applicable is Step 2, using winword.exe /a. <big>If</big> that solves the problem in Word, then I'd look for an add-in as described in Step 3. If it doesn't solve the problem, I don't know.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, I can't thank you enough for trying to help me. I tried your suggestions to no avail. I also did a ' detect and repair ' from Control Panel by clicking on ' Change ' next to the Office XP installation. It likewise did not help. Gremlins.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim:
    When you started Word from the command line with

winword.exe /a

were you able to access the Customize dialog box?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,
    I was not able to access the customize dialog box after entering 'winword.exe /a'in the RUN dialog box. As a matter of fact, something I didn't notice before: Normally when you shut Word down and restart it, it always starts with Document 1. My system starts with Document 1, but then if you shut Word down and restart it, it opens with Document 2. Do it again and it opens with Document 3!!! If I reboot and then start Word, it opens with Document 1 again. Crazy huh?

Thanks

I think this (Document2, Document3) could be caused by another program keeping a hidden instance of Word running even after you close the main Word window. Do you use Word as your e-mail editor for Outlook?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Jim:
    This has happened to me. One possibility is what Jefferson suggests, a program that keeps Word running even if it doesn't show up. Also, there are times when Word doesn't close properly & leaves temp files lying around. I would reboot & delete all my temp files (Step 1 of <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>).

Also, do a Ctrl+Alt+Del & see what is running. I would reboot & then Ctrl+Alt+Del. End task on everything except Explorer & systray. Then start Word & see if you still have the problem. I'm only familiar with Win98 & I don't know if Win XP has something similar to SFC (System File Checker) & msconfig (which has a startup tab that you can use to prevent anything from running at startup except the bare minimum.

Can you reboot & start in Safe Mode? Then start Word.

When you reinstalled Office, did you do a custom install & make sure you selected "Run all from computer"?

New Lounger
    Thanks

I'm not sure if it matters, but Outlook isn't set up on this machine. But I think Outlook defaults to using Word as an email editor, so I'll check it out when I get back to work Monday. Thanks jscher.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil. I'll check out your suggestions on Monday when I get back to work. I did however, delete all the temp files as you previously suggested and it didn't help. I also did a custom install to "Run all from my computer". I'll reply sometime Monday after I check out your other ideas. Thank you again.