New Lounger
    Thanks

Merging from second spreadsheet of Excel Workbook (2000)

Hello everyone,

Can someone give me advice on how to pull information from Sheet 2 of an Excel spreadsheet into a Word document using mail merge? I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Merging from second spreadsheet of Excel Workbook (2000)

It may help if you give the data source range on Sheet 2 a name in Excel: select the range, and type the name in the cell address box in the formula bar.
    In Word, check "Confirm conversion on open" in the General tab of Tools | Options...
    Now, when you select the data source for the mail merge, you should get several options. Experiment with them, and look out for dropdown lists and Options buttons in the dialog that appears. I can't give you more specific information, for I use Windows XP, and the mail merge process has changed considerably.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that advice. I tried that, but I still couldn't get it to work, it still only pops up two options: Entire spreadsheet or _Filter Database.

Any other ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Let's hope that someone with Word 2000 will react. I can't believe that this would be impossible in Word 2000.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

The search facility isn't available right now, but the problem stems from how you do your merge. Basically, you can't use DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) to merge something that's not on the first worksheet. Take a look at the second two methods in <post#=128577>post 128577</post#>. These use a converter or OBDC (Open Database Connectivity).
    Hope this helps,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

This may be a dumb suggestion (as I know very little about merge) but could you:

- Open the workbook in Excel.
    - Move the second worksheet so that it is the first. Save and close the workbook.
    - Do the merge from Word.
    - Reopen the workbook in Excel and move the worksheet back to second place.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you ask Word to open your data source, there is a checkbox labelled "select method" beside the "files of type" dropdown list. Put a check in this box. The next screen that comes up gives you a choice of data sources and it probably has "MS Excel Worksheets via DDE" already selected. If instead you select "Microsoft Excel via Converter", the next dialog box gives you a choice of "Entire Worksheet" as well as the names of the individual sheets. Good luck. The attached .doc file shows some pretty ugly screenshots from a demo.
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

YOU ROCK! That worked perfectly! Thank you so much, what an exciting beginning to my Monday!