Star Lounger
    Thanks

Making one name appear from a distribution list (Outlook XP)

We are using a distribution list of approximately 250 names to send out updates and information. In order to not have the entire list of email addresses appear at the top of the mail (causing recipients to scroll through lines and lines of names), we are placing the distribution list name in the BCC field. However, when we do this, no name appears in the TO field at all. We would like to have each individual's name appear on their email, without the rest of the names on the distribution list appearing also.

Example:

Bob, Frank, Sally, Joe, Nancy are in a list called MyList.
    I put MyList in the BCC field
    Now I would like "Bob" to appear in the TO field of the one that goes to Bob, "Sally" to appear in the TO field of Sally's email, and so forth.

Can this be done and if so, how?

Thanks

Re: Making one name appear from a distribution list (Outlook XP)

You cannot make a name appear without an address, so really, you would need to generate individual messages to these people in order to do that.

Thanks

The usual cosmetic fix for this is to create an address book entry with the listname (e.g. Mycompany Updates) as the name and using your own email address.

As a BTW, our company server is set to parse only the first 100 addresses in the To: field - anything more than that is considered likely to be spam. If a local recipient is not found in the first 100, the mail is rejected.

Star Lounger
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

The feature you want is called email merge - yes, there really is one. In OfficeXP, you can initialise the email merge from a normal mail merge in Word, using email as the output type, or from within Outlook (by selecting the contacts and choosing Mail Merge from the Tools menu, as I recall).

Notes:
    - Won't work with a personal distribution list - it wants you to store all the items in a contact folder. On the plus side, once they are in a contact folder, you can add/remove in bulk by using a view to filter so only the ones you want included this time are visible, and/or you can just select the ones you want to use... And it creates a merge file that you can keep as a record of who the mail went to, if that is important for you.
    - The 'wizard' is a little tricky to get used to, so practice first (the updated version in Outlook11 is much better!)
    - If it suddenly freaks out, check everyone has an email address...

Once I got used to it, I fell in love with this feature - just what I have always wanted.

(And yes, as indicated by the other respondents, what is really happening is a seperate email to each person, but they only see themselves in the "To", no problems with anti-spam, and you can even customise the content to include their name (etc) - anything you can do in a word mail merge you can do using this.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Steve,

Thanks. This works great and is exactly what we were looking for.