Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro login accounts (XP Pro)

I'm having to learn XP Pro really quick at work. I need to know the standard XP domain configuration. Do I create a local user account for the end user to log in locally, and then manually map his drives to the domain? Or create a domain account on the XP machine? There seems to be two different profiles for the same user (local and domain under documents and settings folder) I'm a little confused as to how this should be configured correctly. Should I have both of these folders? The MS website doesnt make it clear for me. We have NT 4.0 NOS. Thanks ahead of time!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro login accounts (XP Pro)

I suppose it depends on where you want the user authenticated. If they log into the local machine, they will need to supply passwords for their network connections as they are made. If they log into the domain, presumably permissions would be set by the domain controller. The user will have a different profile when logging onto the domain because it takes precedence over the local system policies. You can, however, direct one profile to use the directory structure used by the other - for instance, the domain account could be configured to use the local logon account as its home directory, but the domain permissions will still apply.

My preferred method in the past has been to log in locally, and map network resources as needed. This was better for me in the role of developer, because I could control the environment that way without contacting anyone. You will need to evaluate what works better for the user and advise them to use the logon method you prefer.
    -Mark