Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Network (XP Pro + Home)

In trying to set up a 2-computer Ethernet network I can still dial up, but I can't view browser pages or receive email. (Yes, I'm using computer #3 at the moment.) I had the same problem with a single machine when I installed the network card and I recovered with system restore, but I'm new to Ethernet and I can't seem to find a description of this problem. If it sounds familiar, I'd welcome advice.
    Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network (XP Pro + Home)

Your Internet Explorer (and Outlook Express, which is part of Internet Explorer) is not configured to access the Internet.

As I understand, you use your ISP dial-up dialer to connect the Internet. In this case, make the connection, open Windows Explorer (or My Computer) and navigate to
    C:Program FilesInternet ExplorerConnection Wizardicwconn1.exe
    Double-click it. On the first screen, use the last option ("Manually configure..."). Click Next.
    On the second screen, choose "I connect through LAN" if you use third-party dial-up dialer. Choose the first option ("I connect through a phone line") ONLY if you use Windows to make a connection.
    On the third screen, choose "Automatically detect proxy server".
    Some versions of Internet Explorer prompt to create new Internet account. Reject it.
    Click Finish. Now you're be able to surf the Internet.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Network (XP Pro + Home)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by peterg on 18-May-03 20:33. )</P>Neither computer had a network card prior to this; I put them into free slots and XP properly identified both. I know nothing about networks but there