New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing hangs with 100%CPU (Mozilla v 1.2.1)

I'm unable to print email msgs or web pages that I was able to print quite readily until this morning. When I attempt to print my pc hangs and I show 100% CPU usage. All I can do at this point is End Task and and close the browser and start over. I have tried rebooting, randomly selecting mail msgs or web pages and selecting pages and msgs that printed yesterday, all with the same result. By the way, I'm using Win XP Pro. I'd appreciate any help/advice. Thanks.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing hangs with 100%CPU (Mozilla v 1.2.1)

I don't have an answer, but have you tried printing the same pages with IE as the browser? That might narrow down the problem (printer, OS, browser). Something might have corrupted the printer drivers, so you might try to replace those. You also might try deleting the printer & rebooting & letting the OS install the new hardware.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,
    I've been able to print with IE and also offline docs in word & excel. It only hangs with Mozilla.

Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Unless someone has a better suggestion, you could just reinstall Mozilla over itself. That should repair any corruption. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with Win XP & stopped using Mozilla when I discovered Avant Browser.
    Hope this helps,

New Lounger
    Thanks

Phil, your suggestion worked. Thanks, I really appreciate your taking the time to help me.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Your quite welcome. And welcome to the Lounge.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry to be late to the thread and making a suggestion AFTER you and Phil have solved the problem. I wouldn't have had a specific answer since I haven't had a printing problem with Moz yet. But, I wanted to give you this link for possible future reference. It's simply a list of the files in your Mozilla profile directory and what they're used for. It sometimes helps me diagnose what the cause of a problem is. I don't have trouble with Moz very often, but when I do, usually the first thing I do is look in the user profile directory and sort the files by DATE. Sometimes, by looking at the the recently modified files, the list at the above URL and the type of problem I'm having will help me decide where the "corruption" lies. Generally, I will delete one or more of the recently dated files and then re-start Mozilla to see if the problem corrects itself. The files are in the RECYCLE BIN, so if my trial-and-error doesn't work, I can restore what I deleted. I haven't run into a situation with files in the user profile that Mozilla will not re-create a clean copy of, but of course it does mean that you sometimes will have to reset some stuff like mail sort order or window sizes or whatever.

If you're not already doing so, I would make a DAILY backup copy of the PREFS.JS and USER.JS files! Moz makes its own backup copy but that could be useless if they both get corrupted. On two successive days, my son's copy of Moz wouldn't run, period, yielding a hopeless error message. Upon examination with a text editor, his PREFS.JS file looked like the HTML code of some web page instead of what it's supposed to look like. I replaced it with a backup copy, but the next day it happened again. My "detective" work on the corrupt file this time makes me think that the wildcat culprit lies somewhere in the ESPN domain, one of my son's fave sites to visit. I again replaced his PREFS.JS and suggested he stay away from that recently re-designed web site for a few days. Sorry to be so windy, but......

New Lounger
    Thanks

BigAl, Thanks for the info. I've bookmarked the link for future problems. I appreciate your help. Bob