2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Editing a form (2000)

I have a form that is filled out from information in the database. The form is meant to be an edit form to change parts of the information or correct it. Once the information is editted, it now automaticly updates the database. Is there a way to cancel the change if the user makes a mistake? I'm using a button but can't set it to close the form without saving the changed information or putting it back the way it was before the edit. Is it a "DoCmd"?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing a form (2000)

You can use the BeforeUpdate event of the form to check whether the record about to be saved meets all requirements. If it doesn't, set Cancel to True (Cancel is an argument of the BeforeUpdate event handler.)

In general, you can use Me.Undo to undo the changes made to the current record.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Editing a form (2000)

Can you define a "mistake"? Unless it is something the computer can determine for itself, you will have to rely on the user to tell you that the information is correct. The record is saved automatically in the AfterUpdate event of the form, which will happen when you close the form unless you cancel the update in the Form's BeforeUpdate event. You could put a test or a confirmation message into the BeforeUpdate event of the Form and have either the application or the user confirm that everything is correct.
    Charlotte