Star Lounger
    Thanks

Using HTML Workshop with Access (Access 2002)

(Edited by HansV to activate link to MSKB article)

I am trying to complete an Access Program I have written with some context sensitive help. I have followed <!mskb=296231>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 296231<!/mskb> "to the letter" I believe, and have tried it on more than one database but with the same results.
    I can get the help I have written by pressing F1 when the focus is on the "main" form but as soon as I put the focus anywhere else (anther form or a label on the main form) then pressing F1 does not get any results.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using HTML Workshop with Access (Access 2002)

You will have to set both the HelpFile and HelpContextId properties for each control you want to have context-sensitive help (and they must refer to an existing help subject, of course.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have definitely done that

Super Moderator
    Thanks

From your description, it sounds like it is working exactly as it is supposed to. Context sensitive help works on the control that has focus, and in Access, some control on a form will always have focus. If the control that has focus doesn't have any help, then pressing F1 doesn't do anything. Or have I misunderstood the problem?

(BTW, your profile shows Italy as your country, but other things in it suggest New Zealand would be more appropriate - have gremlins been at work in the Lounge?)
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, have sorted out Italy vs New Zealand. A result caused by the rolling wheel on a mouse, I suspect.

Thank you, Wendell, for your last post. Sometimes (often) we can't see the wood for the trees. In this case your comment "and in Access, some control on a form will always have focus" was the key.
    The way KB296231 is written suggests putting 1001 in the Form HelpcontextID. I therefore assumed that pressing F1 would give general help for the Form, as distinct from help 2001 for the control.

I guess if I need general help for a Form I need a control which does nothing but states "Click here and Press F1 for help", with a help file mapped to the control. Or is there a smarter way of getting "Access Help" when needed and "local help" as well?

John

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You raise a good question regarding form help - I would be inclined to put a general HELP button on the form. That way it could be clicked, or the user could tab to it and press F1. I've never tried to create a Help system that complex - maybe others can shed more light on the issue.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Normally you put a contextID in the form for form level help topics or a 0 to get the general help. THe exact values depend on how your help file is set up. Subforms can have their own help topic, and it's possible, although not generally desireable to go down to the control level. Controls inherit the contextID of their parent, and the help file itself should have a means of getting to the general help topic, although we use a Help menu item on our toolbars that includes an "On-line Help" item that will take the user to the Index topic in the help files.
    Charlotte