2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Lost use of CD-ROM

I cannot access my CD-ROM drive...it does not appear in "My Computer." (My local computer store recently installed new RAM, but I cannot swear that the drive was working immediately before I took the computer in.)

I tried "add new hardware" but Windows (98, Second Edition) did not recognize it through Plug and Play and also couldn't find an appropriate file on the "CD-ROM Installation Disk" (diskette) that came with the drive. (Diskette has direcfories for "95drv" "DOS" and "Windows" and (among other things) an Install.exe file, but Windows was looking for an INF file and couldn't find it.

TEAC (manufacturer of the drive) says on its website:

"Due to these drives' standard IDE/ATAPI interface, the only driver that TEAC provides is for the MS-DOS environment. If
    you need this driver, please download the compressed file ATAPICD.EXE. When decompressed, this file contains the
    MS-DOS driver (TEAC_CDI.SYS version 1.27Q) and the instructions file IDE_DOS.DOC. These instructions apply to all
    the above mentioned models and include the necessary steps for creating a bootable disk.

All TEAC models feature true P'n'P capabilities; therefore,Operating Systems (OS) such as Windows 95, Windows
    98/98SE, Windows Me, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP (Home and Professional Editions), OS/2 and others,
    the drives will using the embedded IDE/ATAPI drivers within the corresponding OS. "

How do I get my computer to recognize my CD-ROM drive again?

Thanks for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Lost use of CD-ROM

OK, the first question is does it appear when the system performs a self test at boot? If it does, then does it appear in the Device Manager under your IDE devices? There are many things that you can check, and I would doubt it's the driver that is the problem. If you're comfortable opening the case, you can check and make sure that all the cables are firmly seated.

The disk that you have is probably not going to help under Win98. It's provided mostly for support in a DOS environment. Hang on to it anyway, it could be useful to determine if it's a Windows problem or the device itself.
    -Mark

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Lost use of CD-ROM

Is it seen by BIOS? Go into Bios and see if it's there. Also make sure plug & play is enabled in BIOS.