New Lounger
    Thanks

Databases won't open after Windows upgrade (2000)

I upgraded from Win XP home edition to Win XP Professional and now my Access databases will not open. I get a message from Windows Installer, "Preparing to Install." It asks for the Office 2000 CD. That does not fix the problem. I have opened the MSAccess.exe and from there can open the database, but that is a real annoyance.
    I also get this error message when I try to open the file by right clicking and selecting "Open with" MSAccess: "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it. "

Thanks in advance!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Databases won't open after Windows upgrade (2000)

You may be logged into Windows XP Pro as a user with limited rights. Try to log in as a user with Administrator rights.

New Lounger
    Thanks

I am logged in as a user with Administrator rights.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Well, that's one possibility ruled out. The reason that I suggested this, was that I couldn't find anything in the Microsoft Knowledge Base that was directly relevant to your problem, but most articles that mention the "The installation source for this product is not available" error suggest that it has to do with limited rights.

Perhaps the installation of Windows XP Pro has overwritten some files used by Office 2000. I'm on thin ice here (I don't know much about installing Office), but you might try Detect and Repair (in the Help menu), or if that doesn't work/help, uninstall Office 2000, then reinstall it.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hello

This is a shot in the dark, as is it just the databases you've developed that wont open, it could be the directory structure, guessing here as I've only read a bit about either version of XP. I know that if there is a difference in the structures the .dll files etc can be moved (I've had this between win 95 and win 2k).

If it is the latter situation then maybe you will have to use the VBA editor to find all the missing references.

Like I said, this is a shot in the dark.

Ian

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

So you're getting the error only when you double-click an mdb file or right click and use Open With, right? Did XP Home have user profiles the way XP Pro does? I have admin rights on my XP Pro machine at work and still occasionally run into times when it insists I don't have rights to install something, even though it is usually halfway through the install at the time.
    Charlotte