5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rename Command Missing (WIN XP Home)

I am helping a friend who has WIN XP Home Edition. The RENAME command is missing when you right click on a file or folder. How do I get it back.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Rename Command Missing (WIN XP Home)

One of the context menu handlers in the registry is not correctly configured - but I'm not sure which one it is. Have you tried running a repair installation?
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Boy, I would have to guess that the "Rename" command is one of the underlying "Shell" functions inside Shell32.dll -- I don't think of it as an extension to the Shell.

Is there a 'tweak' that removes this? Something like:

HKCUSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionPolicies ExplorerNoRename

I have not seen it before -- I just made it up -- but perhaps something like that exists...

Since it is for BOTH files and folders, this is therefore something that applies to "AllFileSystemObjects". I have only one Shell Extension for AllFileSystemObjects, and that is the "SendTo..." function.

I'll look around and see what I can find.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I can find several sources of the "Rename" command. You will note that the command looks like this: Rename. Therefore, the text string for that would be: Rena&me.

While there are several sources, only one seems likely -- this string exists inside Shell32.dll.

Other places where this string exists includes MSTask.dll (Task Scheduler interface DLL), RNAUI.DLL (Dial-Up Networking User Interface), FontText.dll (Windows Font Folder), WMSUI32.dll (WMS User Interface - MS Exchange), BrowseLC.dll (Shell Browser UI Library), MSIEFTP.dll (Microsoft Internet Explorer FTP Folder Shell Extension), MXDXM.dll (Windows Media Player 2 ActiveX Control), and some others -- but nothing that is clearly going to be used by the Explorer Shell when right-clicking.