2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Worried about Large MEMO Fields (Acces2000 SR_1)

I have imported a spreadsheet into a database that functions ad a TASK Database (or ToDo)

So it has Title, ToDo, Dates, etc. There is a field called TaskDesciption that is a MEMO field.

One of the records I imported has a description with:

1,826 Words
    7,915 Characters (no space)
    9,68 Charaxcter (with space
    The user just kept adding more text into this field separated by dates.

I am very concerned about this slowing the database down and also corrupting it should a user crash their system.

Is there reason to be concerned? What are the problems associated with this.

I will suggest splitting out the LARGE TEXT into a separate table with a date field and descritpion that is 255chr (TEXT), but I need solid information.

I was thinking of a Main Table with a Description Field linked to a separate table with a Date and Description Field (to break down this massive memo data)

Thanks

Paul

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Worried about Large MEMO Fields (Acces2000 SR_1)

In theory, memo fields are a potential source of corruption. This is because the contents of a memo field are not stored in the table itself, but in a separate part of the database. The table itself contains pointers (links) to the separate storage space. These links can get broken. This usually results in the contents of the memo field in one or more records getting lost, but it can also lead to irrecoverable loss of the database.

In practice, Loungers seem to have varying experiences. Some have indeed seen databases being damaged beyond repair, others have worked with memo fields for years without much trouble (I am one of the latter.)

But in this case, putting information for different dates into one big memo field is not a good idea form the viewpoint of database design. I agree that you should put this field into a separate table with an ID field (to link it to the main table), a date field and a text field. One record in the main table will correspond to multiple records in the new table. This structure is much more manageable; you can sort by date, select by date etc.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Worried about Large MEMO Fields (Acces2000 SR_1)

Thanks Hans: you are 'The Friendly Neighborhood Access Guru'