New Lounger
    Thanks

Sharing Dbase (1997)

I just created a dbase that is supposed to be used by many people at our company. I created it, stored it in a network drive, and now, only one person can have it open at a time. When someone else opens it, it says that the file is already in use by another user.....

and yes, I did check to see if the dbase was shared...and it is. HELP!!

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Sharing Dbase (1997)

It sounds as if it is being opened in exclusive mode, or the network share is not letting people create a lock file. If it's the latter, all users need both read and write priviledges in the folder where the database resides.
    Wendell

New Lounger
    Thanks

the network person isn't here to help me with the latter part of your suggestion. However, when I went into properties for the file on the network, it says that we all have read and write priviledges enabled.

Now, in the dbase itself....the advanced tab in options says shared or exclusive. I have it clicked in the shared mode. The default record locking says No Locks. is there where the problem is?

I am running out of options, and since my work is being done for free, I would like to be able to get out of here asap so that my work isn't free to the company.

Anyone else have suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Are you using a shortcut to open the database? If so, it may be setting the exclusive mode - that's the only other thing I can think of. Note however that you need to be able to create a file (the lock file - .ldb) in the same folder as the database resides, so you need to check the permissions on the folder as well as that for the .mdb file.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Read/Write isn't enough. You also need create privileges so the ldb file can be created and delete privileges on the network folder so that it can be deleted when the last person exits the database.
    Charlotte