3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

NEC FD1231T Floppy Drive

I am posting this for a lady whose floppy drive, FD1231T, of a IBM PC is broken. Since the slot is not compitable to generic floppy drive, what kind of options does she have?

She has no access to internet. I have to post this for her.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: NEC FD1231T Floppy Drive

IBM parts usually have an FRU number printed somewhere on the item. This <font color=blue>could</font color=blue> be the same as the P/N, but in most personally witnessed experiences, it's not.

You'll need to have your friend contact IBM about the replacement of this drive, if it's under warranty.

Do you have anymore information on this item? I can't find a reference on the IBM website(s) to the number you gave. Can you describe it for us?
    Christopher Baldrey

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The whole story is :

Her IBM floppy drive was broken. She went to Best Buy to buy a Belkin's drive. After taking out the broken drive in the PC, she found that the Belkin did not fit the drive slot. She took the broken drive to the office and called me for help. She read me the number, NEC FD1231T, printed on label of the broken drive. She won't be able to know the model number of the IBM PC till she gets home this evening.

Banned Member
    Thanks

This guy has a couple for sale you could check into. , if he stills has them. here Also at Pricewatch

Thanks

Does the computer have an available USB port? Might be simplest to get a $50 USB floppy drive. (Not cheapest, obviously...)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is this the case of a completely proprietary format, or would the drive fit if you remove the front cover? As it comes out of the box, a standard floppy drive will not fit in my HP Vectra, as it has an FDD front built into the front cover of the PC. Removing the (usually) beige plastic front of the FDD is all that is required to make it fit in my case. May be the same for the IBM.
    We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yes, I myself have found that to be true Sparky. The only time that would not work is if the case was curved or something. But I bet that is all they need to do. The NEC FD1231T is a standard size Floppy Drive, so most Floppy Drives should fit.