Lounger
    Thanks

Put checkboxes in a document? (Word XP)

Forgive me if I'm asking a question that's already been addressed here, but the search function is temporarily suspended. I customarily use Word documents to take notes of what I'm doing, using bulleted or numbered lists, usually; sometimes tables. What I'd like to do is put check boxes in sometimes so I can check off things as they get done. Word help talks about adding buttons to forms but not to documents. How can I accomplish this? Is the trick to embed forms in the document somehow, or vice-versa, or is it just not possible? Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts on this.

Regards,

John.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Put checkboxes in a document? (Word XP)

Hello John,

There are two kinds of check boxes you can put in a document.

One is the "formfield" checkbox from the Forms toolbar. These work only in a protected section of a document. You can't change anything except formfields in a protected section, and even in unprotected sections, you are severely limited in what you can do. Form fields are meant for forms in which the user only has to type a few answers, check something here and select an item there. So I don't think they are ideal for what you want.

The other is the VBA checkbox from the Control Toolbox toolbar. If you use it, note the Design Mode button on the Control Toolset (the blue triangle/ruler/pencil button). This button toggles design mode on and off. In design mode, you can set the properties of the check box (right click it and select Properties); out of design mode, you can click the checkbox on and off.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Put checkboxes in a document? (Word XP)

Hans,
    In point of fact, the VBA checkbox was just what I was trying yesterday, but it never occurred to me to toggle the Design Mode off, so I couldn't set or clear the checkbox. Thanks for your quick, cogent and correct answer. That's the second time in as many days that you've solved my problem.
    Regards,
    John.