Lounger
    Thanks

Securing a Windows98 System

Has anyone used any of the security software available to restrict and limit access to certain areas of the Windows 98 operating system? For instance, I don't want the user to be able to delete files through explorer or I would like to remove the network neighborhood icon from the desktop. I am trying out several right now, but each has it's downside. Any recommendations?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Securing a Windows98 System

You can use the Policy Editor that is on the Windows 98 CD-ROM, but you should remember that Windows 98, as all of the Win9x operating systems, is inherently insecure. The Policy Editor is on the CD-ROM at toolsreskitnetadminpoledit. There is a graphical setup guide at http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/polediti.htm.

Hope that helps,
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Alan Zisman's write up about Poledit is a classic -- plus includes a download link. I recommend it highly:
    Using Poledit: Policy Editor to help secure Windows 95/98 computers.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for the response. My goal is create a type of dumb terminal out of the PC. As far as I know the policy editor isn't quite robust enough. I only want them to be able to do a single PC application that I have in the startup folder. I'm putting the PC into a production area and wish to avoid creative minds from tinkering with it.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I would recommend you look at poledit again. I don't think you will find anything else better -- at least not for free...

Poledit can definitely do everything you have mentioned so far.

However, you know Win9x is inherently insecure. A determined hacker can certainly get around Poledit -- but it would take a fair amount of effort.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks

I printed the recommended article and will take a look at it again. Thank you for your help.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I second the motion for Poledit - I once had to deal with a client that locked their workstations down so tight that there was only one icon on the desktop, no run command in the start menu, nothing. Since we were supporting a DOS application and needed to troubleshoot from a command prompt, it took some ingenuity to resolve their issues. I will state for the record that we were able to figure out a way to get into DOS, but as R2 noted - it took a fair amount of effort. I would wager that the average tinkering type would not be able to get past it.
    -Mark

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I remember right, you can also allow only specified apps to run with Poledit, by entering the full path and exe name. Be careful though, you can very easily get yourself into large amounts of trouble.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

That is the second thing I circled above. You can make things very difficult with Poledit. That is one of the reaons I carry a copy of it around in my car at all times!
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry 'bout that R2, I didn't catch that second circle you had! I've been using it ever since you turned me on to it about 4 months or so ago, and I have had significantly fewer problems with the PCs at work. Used to have different backgrounds, screensavers, etc. Now just one message when you right click..."Your system administrator has disabled the control panel." Just what the doc ordered!