New Lounger
    Thanks

Print Drivers Disappear From Print Folder

From time to time all the installed print drivers on our Win2K server (with Terminal Server installed) "disappear" which ultimately leads to no print functionality. Does anyone know why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it from happening again? A simple re-boot of the machine brings everything back to "normal".

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Print Drivers Disappear From Print Folder

I've had this happen to me. It was a server that wasn't working right in the first place and I just chalked it up to the other problem. I was, however, able to get it working again without a full reboot. All I did was restart the service. This isn't a real fix, but you could create a batch file to stop the service then start the service (net stop [process], net start [process]) and schedule the service to run at predetermined intervalls.

I have a service that still needs a kick in the pants restart like that and the batch file method works perfectly. So your batch file would look like - hold on a sec while I try this...

Okay, like this:
    ===Begin Copy===
    net stop "print spooler"
    net start "print spooler"
    ===End Copy===

Past that into a notepad file, save it as RestartPrintSpooler.bat (or whatever.bat) then use window's scheduler to execute the file at, say, 1am.

Good luck

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for your suggestion. I am going to try it. Have spent much time digging around for any kind of fix.

Cheers,

Cassandra

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Rebooting the spooler service usually fixes this. Its usually caused by the print spooler hanging up with a particular printer, for whatever reason, and the available printers is retrieved from the spooler, which if it is hung up, will not send anything back to the user.

Rebooting fixes it because you are manually rebooting the spooler. Though we had one machine that wouldn't fix on reboot, but did fix on restart of the spooler service (so the failure was occuring while the machine started up, but once the machine was up, restarting the spooler fixed it....may have been a fast port issue)