New Lounger
    Thanks

possible to 'freeze' auto-numbered items? (W2k)

I frequently receive 'Requests for Proposal' (RFP's) created in Word. They often include numbered lists which I'm asked to respond to. I generally create my response document by doing a 'File/SaveAs', then deleting the extraneous sections. If the list I'm wanting to work on is only part of the overall numbering scheme, Word conveniently restarts the numbering at 1 for me, which I don't want to do.

For instance the document I'm working on today starts numbering Section 1 which is titled Overview, Section 2 is RFP Process, Section 3 is Vendor Requirements [all of these are simply informational], then Section 4 is 'Functional Requirements' and includes numbered items to which I am to respond.

When I do my 'File/SaveAs' and delete Sections 1 through 3, suddenly Functional Requirements becomes Section 1. I know that I can select 'Format/BulletsAndNumbering' and re-set the beginning number to 4, but I've so often had problems with Word changing things I don't want to in these lists, that I'd rather 'freeze' the numbers the way they existed when I received the original document.

I've repeatedly searched Word's Help, and found that I can select an individual field & click Ctrl/Shift/F9 to unlink the field & replace it with the value. But that doesn't seem to apply to numbered lists, since when I try it nothing changes, nor is the value 'frozen.'

Any suggestions? My apologies if this has been covered before; I have scrolled through a significant number of entries in this forum, but with the Search function inactive it's a bit overwhelming.

thanks much for any suggestions/pointers/instructions.

Bob

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: possible to 'freeze' auto-numbered items? (W2k)

Hi Zak:
    Welcome to the Lounge. There are a couple of ways to do this. Perhaps the easiest is:
    1. Open WordPad.
    2. Copy each section you want to keep from your Word document & paste into WordPad.
    3. Save the Wordpad doc as a Word document (it will save as Word 6 type).

You can now open the new document in Word & the numbering will match. You can also save the original as Rich Text or an earlier version of Word, open it in WordPad, & then reopen in Word. I'd do this on a copy so that you have the orginal untouched version from the sender, but that's up to you.
    Cheers,

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hmm, I thought that key combination converts autonumbers to text numbers, but it doesn't work when I try it here using Word 2002.

The following line of code will convert all numbering in the document to text numbers:

ActiveDocument.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToTe xt wdNumbersAllNumbers

You can make this into a sub procedure (macro), or you can just run the line of code itself from the Immediate Window in the VB Editor:
    From the Word document, key Alt+F11 to go to the VB Editor.
    Then look to see if the Immediate Window is open (if not, you can toggle it on by going to View > Immediate Window, or by using the shortcut Ctrl+G).
    Paste the above one line of code into the immediate window and press Enter.
    The autonumbering in the document should convert to text numbers.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks

That topic was covered here a couple of months ago and as you state - the search function is sorely missed.

Below is a bit of code which should do what you require along with the converse macro which strips the hard coded numbers.
    <pre>Sub NumberingAutoToHardcoded()
    'Andrew Lockton - Chrysalis Design
    'converts autonumbers to hard coded
    Dim iResp As Integer
    iResp = MsgBox("This macro converts automatic paragraph numbers to hard coded." _
    & vbCr & "Click Yes to convert the entire document." & vbCr & _
    "Click No to convert only the selected paragraphs." & vbCr & _
    "Click Cancel to stop the macro.", _
    vbYesNoCancel, "Delete Hard Numbers")
    If iResp = vbYes Then
    ActiveDocument.ConvertNumbersToText (wdNumberAllNumbers)
    ElseIf iResp = vbNo Then
    Selection.Range.ListFormat.ConvertNumbersToText (wdNumberAllNumbers)
    End If
    End Sub
    '================================================= ===
    Sub NumberingDeleteHardcoded()
    'Andrew Lockton - Chrysalis Design
    'Only acts on selected paragraphs
    Dim iResp As Integer
    iResp = MsgBox("This macro will remove all hardcoded paragraph numbers " _
    & vbCr & "from the SELECTED paragraphs. Click OK to continue.", _
    vbOKCancel, "Delete Hard Numbers")
    If iResp = vbOK Then
    WordBasic.ToolsBulletsNumbers Replace:=0, Type:=1, Remove:=1
    End If
    End Sub</pre>

Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks

Wow! (you should pardon the pun...<gr>) What a great introduction to the Forum -- very fast, helpful responses: I really appreciate it.

Phil -- your 'trick' works like a champ, and I never would have thought of it (I didn't realize WordPad doesn't support auto-numbering). Unfortunately I hadn't thought to mention that these documents also often include tables, which also get lost in this process. But it's good to have another option up my sleeve for the simpler situations.

Gary -- your code works like a champ -- both ways. Thanks very much! I now have a FreezeNumbers macro installed.

Andrew -- thanks for your more elegant implementation, with the dialogue options, etc. I'll certainly hang onto that as another alternative as well.

Again -- I really appreciate this forum for the ability to exchange ideas & solutions with Expert users!

Bob