Lounger
    Thanks

Multiple line text box. (2000)

Hi, im sure this is simple but i can't find it in help.
    I have a comments field, which i would like to be able to write multiple lines of text in. How can i get it to do that? I have tryed setting the feield properties to Memo, but that wont work either.
    Thanks in advance,
    Adrian.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Multiple line text box. (2000)

Are you trying to do this in a form or in a table? In a form, you simply make the text box two (or three, or four or more) lines high and text will wrap in it. In a datasheet view (what you get with tables and queries), you can click and drag on the row boundary, much as you would in Excel, and it will increase the row height to whatever you want to set it to - of course it does it for all fields in the record. Memo has no impact on this - it is simply a field type that can contain more than 255 characters. Bottom line - if you need to have more than 255 characters (a couple of relatively complex sentences), then you either need to go to SQL Server or use a memo field.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't quite understand. If you enter multiple lines of text in a textbox bound to a memo field, you will have multiple lines. Are you referring to the size of the textbox, scrollbars, line breaks, or what? If you are trying to use the Enter key to insert line breaks, that will only work if you have the Enter Key Behavior property of the textbox control set to New Line in Field.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

Im doing it in a form, is there any way i can beable to type with multiple lines
    like this
    without
    wordwrap?
    (ive just read charlotte's) ill try that.

Lounger
    Thanks

Charlotte
    What exactly should i write in the properties>event>on enter box?
    theres nothing like "New Line in Field" in the drop down. is there code for it?
    Adrian

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

I may be off base here, but have you tried Ctrl-Enter for the carriage return and line feed?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

That isn't where you put it and it isn't in the code module, it is in the property dialog for the control. Open the form in design view. Select the textbox bound to the memo field. Right click the textbox and select Properties from the shortcut menu. On the Other tab of the properties dialog, you'll find the property for Enter Key Behavior. The property defaults to Default. If you click in the area where you see the word Default, you'll get a dropdown arrow. The other available value is New Line in Field.
    Charlotte

Lounger
    Thanks

ahh, thanks.
    Sorry i get lost with access terminoligy sometimes.
    Thanks for the speedy help.