2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros and Forms Object Library (Word 2000/XP with all updates)

(Edited by HansV to create link to MSKB article)

I have a macro which allows me to add the extra diacritical marks to Hebrew text. The macro is in the Office startup directory and starts up correctly. However, when I go to use it, I get the message: The macro cannot be found or has been disabled because of your Macro security settings". These have been changed, but made no difference. a search on MS Technet produced article <!mskb=328157>Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 328157<!/mskb> which describes the problem and offers a solution. However, when I follow the instructions "Select the MS Forms 2.0 Object Library as a Reference" and select FM20.dll, the selection just doesn't seem to stick. As soon as I close the VB Editor, the selection is gone. Are the instructions in 328157 totally correct, or am I making a 'finger' mistake? All service packs and patches have been installed, and this problem is in both Word 2000 and Word XP. The Word XP installation is a full installation of all options run directly from hard disk, so I doubt I'm missing any files.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros and Forms Object Library (Word 2000/XP with all updates)

Setting a reference should be "sticky". Are you absolutely sure that the check box next to the reference to the Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library is actually checked before you click OK in Tools |References...? Have you tried saving the template or document containing the macro from the Visual Basic Editor after setting the reference?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes, I'm sure that the check mark has been set. According to the MS article, after I set the check mark, I'm supposed to close and go back to my original document. I tried saving 'Doc1' once, closing Word and then reopening, but that made no difference. Before I close the VB Editor, am I supposed to save something there? As this is a macro that I probably will be using a lot, it would be handy if I could get it to be part of Normal.dot. But that might also not be a good idea. I'd just be happy if it worked when I need it!

Thanks for now. any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you copy the macro to Normal.dot? Don't forget to set the reference again (it is a document-specific setting). Then save Normal.dot from within the Visual Basic Editor (it shouldn't be necessary to do it there, but it doesn't harm either). Quit Word and start it again. See if you can run the macro.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Maury,

Since you say the macro is in the startup directory, I assume you mean that the macro is in a global template, other than Normal.dot, which is in the startup directory?

As Hans mentioned, setting the reference is a document-specific property, which means that in order to have this setting 'stick' with your global template, you must first open the global template as a document, then in the VB Editor, look in the Project Explorer window, make sure your global template is selected, and then do the Tools > References to set the reference.

You can then save your global template by either pressing Ctrl+S in the VB Editor (making sure you have the global template selected in the Project Explorer), or else switch back to Word and save the global template before closing it.

Gary