Star Lounger
    Thanks

Photos in Word (2000/SR-1)

I have a Word document with many photos (jpg format) in it. Although it is only 6 pages, with the photos, it is over 9 meg in size. When I save as a pdf file, it is still over 7 meg. What format can I use instead of jpg for the photos without losing clarity but reducing the size significantly? What software do you recommend for converting the photos to the new format?

Thanks,
    Caroline

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Photos in Word (2000/SR-1)

Jpg is a pretty good format for photographs. You can use Microsoft Photo Editor (which comes with Office) or the free program IrfanView to save the photographs with a lower quality setting. Depending on the nature of your photographs, you should be able to reduce the size of the files significantly without losing too much detail. If the original size (height and width) of the pictures is large, reducing them to the size they will have in Word will also help. IrfanView can do this - see Bruce Krymow's <!post=IrfanView Resize/Resample Tutorial,251533>IrfanView Resize/Resample Tutorial<!/post>.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Caroline:
    One thing to add to Hans' excellent advice is to do ALL your resizing outside of Word. If you resize a graphic in your Word document, Word keeps both the original & then new size, thus increasing the file size.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Here is a trick I use. For example, I created a word document today using a two column table, with photos I'd inserted into one column (and then dragged by corners to get size I wanted), and using the other column of the same row for descriptive text. I tend to size the photos with selected margins and header so that I get four photos per page. When I was done, I had about 11 pages and a 12.9 Mbyte word document. Here is the trick I stumbled on.

Select <File>, then <Save as Web Page>. When the next window opens, go to the bottom and off the scroll bar for "Save As Type" select "Web Page, Filtered." Then save the document. You should get a warning advising that some of Word's formatting will be stripped. Just click "Yes" that you want to save it anyway. Once saved, close the document.

Next, merely re-open the document you just saved as a filtered Web Page. Make any changes you want. For example, I usually switch to the Print Layout View, then add back in the Header that got stripped. When I'm done, I again select <File>, <Save AS>, and this time go down and change the file extension to doc. You may want to name it "final.doc" or something to distinguish it from the original. That's it. Close the document.

What you should find in this example would be three separate files and a photo folder. The original 12.9MByte word file with the photos, a similarly sized .htm file that also contains the photos it now apparently pulls from the new photo folder, and best of all the "final.doc" file (or whatever you named it). This file will also show the photos and your formatting, but the size will be in the neighborhood of only 95 Kbytes. To save disc space, you can delete the file with the htm extensioni as well as the newly created photo folder.

I hope you find this useful. Again, I just stumbled upon it by experimenting since my ISP has a 5MByte limit, as do many corporate E-mail systems. I'm not sure why it works, but it does.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Caroline,

You can minimise the size of the Word files by inserting links to the pictures, rather than the pictures themselves.

In acrobat, you can minimise the output file size by optimising the output for the web, which is especially useful if the pdf is mainly intended for on-screen viewing.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]