New Lounger
    Thanks

Access/Excel Integration (2000)

I am creating an application with a switchboard that will have some buttons for running certain queries of a large table. A couple other buttons will launch other programs outside of Access, namely Excel and AutoCAD.

My question is this: Can I use a query to pull data out of the Access table, to retrieve a number like "1234", then click on one of the buttons to launch another program (Excel or AutoCAD) and have that other program read that number as a variable or something that can be used in that program??

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access/Excel Integration (2000)

Not sure exactly what level of integration you are seeking. You could set up some code to open Excel in Access easily enough. This involves 'shell' programming that basically works with operating system commands. For example, opening Excel from Access simply involves using the Command Button Wizard's "Application" option to make a button that opens Excel. You'll have to do a fair amount of modification of the code to specify where the Excel file is, etc.

Once you've done that, go into Excel and set up a link to Access using Data | Get External Data... and follow the steps to locate an existing Access db, specify the query you want and 'link' an Excel cell (or cell range) to query result(s). It's this method may be best for linking the data from Access to Excel and the button you create in Access just opens the Excel spreadsheet once the cell link has been set up.

I've done a little work in linking Excel to Access and, while it seems to work well, I find that Excel can run a bit slow as it wants to run the query to make sure the data is accurate. I don't know AutoCad, but a lot of programs support ODBC connections and you might find a way to tie a variable in AutoCAD to Access via ODBC or some other AutoCAD technology that allows you to connect to a database.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Access/Excel Integration (2000)

In addition to Steve's suggestion about using ODBC links, there is the alternative of Automation. In that you control one office application from another, and we do that fairly regularly. We have a tutorial on our website that talks about controlling Word from Access, but it also has references for Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook among others. You can find it under the Support menu.
    Wendell