Star Lounger
    Thanks

Loss of TCP/IP bindings

Recently ran into a bizarre problem on our NT Server. I've mostly worked around it but still haven't resolved it.

This server, which is running NT4 SP6, is lightly used, primarily for file and print services. We almost never power it off or reboot it; I'm sure it had been 5-6 months since either was last done prior to this incident. On 29 December I powered the server off for a long New Year's Eve rest. On 2 January, I powered it back on and it came up fine. I powered my notebook on, it reconnected, no worries. It was only after several colleagues came to work that we discovered that only 4 clients could talk to the server; the remaining 6 could not. For several hours, I could find absolutely no pattern to explain why some could and some couldn't connect.

Finally, I hit on NETBEUI -- all of the successful clients had both NETBEUI and TCP/IP installed; the clients with only TCP/IP couldn't connect. Mind you, the TCP/IP-only clients had worked fine on 29 January. BTW, I could ping all systems from the server but couldn't ping the server from any system. Installing NETBEUI on the clients allowed them to see the server for file and print.

My assumption is that I somehow lost TCP/IP bindings on the server. Uninstalling and reinstalling TCP/IP on the server (and reinstalling SP6) didn't change anything, however. While the clients can see the server via NETBEUI, the remaining victim is a TCP/IP-only network printer that I can ping from the server but is still invisible to NT.

Suggestions? Comments? Incantations?

Thanks

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Loss of TCP/IP bindings

Dont' know if you've solved this yet or not. I was wondering if your clients are NT or 95/98? You might want to try an ipconfg /release and ipconfig /renew from a command prompt for NT users and winipconfg /release winipconfg /renew from a DOS prompt on your 95/98 clients.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the suggestion. The clients are actually a mix of all flavors of Windows but all have static IP address so I don't think release/renew will do any good. Is this a correct assumption as far as you know?

And no, I haven't solved this yet. I've even gone so far as to uninstall/reinstall the NIC in the NT server with no change in symptoms. I can still ping all devices from the server, but the can't ping the server from any device on the network.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, you are correct that release/renew doesn't have any affect on static addresses. Hmmmm...this one's a real thinker. I'll let you know if I come up with anything else but for now I'm stumped.

Paddy

Thanks

Hi,
    I have a couple of questions. First, what sort of printer port is the printer set up on on the server (e.g. DLC)? Second, what are you using for name/address resolution - HOSTS files, WINS or DNS?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel