New Lounger
    Thanks

Networking and Databases (XP)

Suppose you have 7 or 8 laptops that have wireless access to a server on which an Access application resides. The 7 or 8 users utilize the application while in the office, but would also like to use the application at home.
    If you split the Access application into front-end and back-end components and place the front-end on each of the laptops:
    1) is there a way for the users to run the application when not in the office?
    2) do you need to create a database (back-end) in each laptop?
    3) how do you then "update" the back-end on the server when the user returns to the office?
    4) although not too likely (due to the nature of the data), if more that one user changes the same record, how do you resolve conflicts and synchronize the various elements?
    5) does the situation change if you keep the tables, forms, etc. together (i.e., don't split the application)?
    Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Networking and Databases (XP)

Before we go any further, we need to know your total Access, Windows and Networking back ground. If you have less that ten (10) years experience is any of these, I would say go hire a consultant that understands exactly what you want. This is NOT a simple task. Sorry.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Unless you laptops can somehow connect to the server when they are "on the road", what you are talking about involves Replication. This is NOT an easy topic! There are many of us who have been using Access for years who have managed to avoid using Replication. You will definitely need the help of someone with experience in this area.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

New Lounger
    Thanks

While I have a computer science background, it is not specifically Windows or networking (I'm an old telecommunications person: switching, protocols, ISDN, etc.) Is it worth investigating Access' replication/synchronization capabilities, or do these require extensive crafting to become compatible with the specific network environment?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

There isn't really anything special from a networking point of view in order to make replication work. And it is designed to deal with the problem of users who are "loosely connected" to a network. You might find our tutorial on replication a reasonable starting point, and it contains links to lots more detailed info, but there are a number of pitfalls and traps you need to be concerned about. In many cases a database will need some redesign in order to work under replication. If you have further questions or concerns, feel free to post back.
    Wendell