Thread: Burn AVI to VCD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Burn AVI to VCD

I used Nero 5.5.10.20 to burn some AVI movie clips, taken with Canon digital camera, to VCD. The CD-R disc could not be played on home DVD players (DVD player could not load this disc.). But, for the same disc, I could play the DAT files, inside the MPEGAV folder, with Windows Media Player on a Windows XP Home computer.

Does anyone successfully burn AVI files to VCD by using Nero 5.5?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Burn AVI to VCD

Not all DVD players support the VCD format - if you created a VCD and it doesn't play in a standalone DVD player, I'd try a different model. You can also check with the manufacturer to see if the unit supports the format. FYI, Sony Playstation 2's and several Pioneer DVD players natively read the VCD format, so if you have a Playstation 2, there's your answer.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I did try to play the disk on two DVD players. Both claim they are VCD compatible. I can watch VCD movies on both players that confirms the VCD compatibility.

Manufacture of DVD players are Toshiba and Samsung.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Nero successfully completed the conversion to VCD then? If that's the case, I wonder if it's possibly the media you're using - some CD-R media isn't all that great in other playback devices. PC CD drives are typically more sensitive to those types of discs and have an easier time reading them. Do you have any different discs you can do a test burn with?
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

No luck on this either! I used a TDK CD-R disc, intead of those free after rebate discs, and reduced the burning speed to 16x. Unfortunately, both DVD player still refuse to let me watch the movie clips.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

How to tell if Nero successfully completed the conversion to VCD ? I completed every burning steps instructed by Nero on screen. No error ever showed up.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to suggest that you keep wasting CDs, but perhaps lowering the burn speed to 1 or 2x would be worth a shot - fewer potential errors. I'm still for thinking that it's the player and not the disc, though, since they work in PC drives. Correct?
    -Mark

Thanks

Could it be the Motion JPEG encoding of the AVI files created by the camera? I guess if Nero doesn't complain about them, they're okay...

About the only useful looking things in the manual (downloaded from here) are:

"The VideoCD tab offers a number of options which you can use to tailor the VideoCD to your specific requirements. The 'Create standard compliant CD' checkbox should be enabled to ensure that you make a VideoCD that can be played in a DVD player." (p70)

"Note:
    If an MPEG file does not have the correct characteristics of a VCD, Nero detects the incorrect format and the user has three options: 'Ignore Compatibility', 'Re-Encode the File' or 'Cancel'. Ignoring compatibility burns the file to the CD with no changes. This option is specifically aimed at experienced users. Re-encoding decodes the existing file, converts it to the correct resolution and Framerate and encodes it again. (Re-encoding is done before burning. This process requires both time and temporary memory space. Canceling interrupts the addition of the video file, i.e. it is not added to the
    compilation.
    Important: If you do not drag an MPEG file into the video section, it will not be written as a video track and will need more space on the CD." (p71)

Maybe the above points toward some options you can fiddle with.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It seems that I need to give up on this. There is no improvement on all these suggestion. Maybe my CD-RW drive is not capable of doing this. Thank you guys anyway!

Lounger
    Thanks

A playstation 2 is only capable of playing DVDs. It CANNOT play VCDs or any other video format. FYI.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I hate to be a wet blanket, but the Playstation 2 does indeed play back VCD discs. Pop one in and try it.
    -Mark