Thanks

Heads Up: Win Update 818043 (WinXPP SP1)

I installed recommended update 818043 tonight. After rebooting, I could no longer access the internet through my dial-up connection. The stated reason was an inability to resolve addresses. Windows update says that, once installed, 818043 cannot be removed. However, there is an entry in Add/Remove Programs for 818043. I clicked the Remove button and, after rebooting, here I am. You'd think that after the 811493 fiasco MS would wise up.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Heads Up: Win Update 818043 (WinXPP SP1)

Thats why I never install a fix unless I have something that needs fixen. Because fixen something that ain't broke, may very well break it. Your not the only one having problems with some of Microsofts Updates. Beware and it probably wouldn't hurt to read Woody's News Letters on the subject. Glad to hear you was able to remove it.

Thanks

Microsoft has withdrawn update 818043. They admit it causes network access problems. No word on whether they will re-issue it.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It switched off connections for you and a few--well 600,000 others and will probably be back after it's tweaked. One possible negative consequence of so many patches that doesn't get a lot of attention or study (the C.I.A. has one underway) is the effect on a system of so many cumulative patches even if each one isn't causing specific negative impact when installed like the recent ones in the news.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<font color=blue>The "Security Rating Matrix"</font color=blue>
    In issuing their 18th and 19th security bulletins and two updates to existing patches yesterday, Microsoft issued a "revised" patch yesterday with a twist I haven't seen before--(they issued 4 total patches yesterday) "the security rating matrix":
    __________________________________________________ __________________________

"to assess whether their particular environments demand that the patch should be applied immediately or whether their particular level of risk permits delaying deployment of the patch until it is revised and the performance problem corrected."
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

I think this is what Cowboy means when he says "fixen something that ain't broke, may very well break it." And Microsoft has been pushing hard for automatic updates-- Mamma Redmond would just put in these eventful patches for you--you don't need a say or to be bothered and your life would become more interesting.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Funny but that's already happening. I lurk in a couple of MSN groups dedicated to XP, and there were people (with automatic updates turned on) that had their computers slow down significantly recently and HAD NO IDEA WHY. If you don't even know that something's being "fixed", it's pretty hard to pinpoint where all of the problems that suddenly appear are coming from. There's got to be a better way.......

kip

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Kip-

As it is now, theoretically anyway, Microsoft isn't able to automatically download updates including hotfixes, unless you let them. I know Microsoft isn't doing this as an overt or covert policy yet. The first cause I would think of when computers slow down mysteriously after checking a few routine spots would be to look for a lot of the spyware that's been described well in the lounge in the past three months, and to run Spybot S&D and Adaware 6. There are lots of others, but that's a good start. If in fact someone thinks they have had a stealth update downloaded, then I would go either to Add/Remove or the registry key for hotfixes and look there:

HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftUpdates or
    HKLMSoftwareMicrosoftWindows NTCurrentVersionHotfix

I really like getting my updates through the security newsletter through the Security Notification Service. That way I don't miss any if I choose to put them in, and lately I have been bypassing them to wait for the problem report the next few days--the slowdowns--the off the internet--the "we fixed it a little here it is but not all the way-- we didn't get it all fixed because we're a small company with 52,000 employees and only a few software engineers but we're working on it and we're Palladium Trustworthy "

You get them earlier than windows update, and that keeps the annoying "updates ready to download icon" and its bubble out of my system tray. Every once in a while I can search update for non-related security downloads--most of which I don't need and if it's say a Windows Media or movie maker feature, I'll hear about it other ways anyway--I rarely even open Windows Update and I know I have every single update for XP,IE, OE MS has minus the problem ones thanks to Woody's letters, the threads on the lounge, Cnet, Slashdot and the XP/Windows newsletters.

SMBP