3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Link Not Opening (Win XP/IE 6.0)

I have a user here in the office that just this week has started having something unusual happen when she uses IE. She clicks the icon in the quick launch bar to open IE. She then types in an address. The web site opens. She then will click a link to take her to a document (pdf, or on our intranet .doc or .xls). A small IE window will open, not of the linked page but seemingly a blank page. If she maximizes the window then the link will "open". This happens every time she wants to use a linked document, whether on the internet or our intranet. Regular linked web pages seem to open fine. She is on an XP machine with all updates installed. Any suggestions of fixes?

Thanks

Re: Link Not Opening (Win XP/IE 6.0)

If the problem is only that IE opens the window too small, she should stretch it to an appropriate size using the mouse rather than maximizing it, and then close it using File>Close. This will help IE remember the window size she wants the next time. Maximizing does not reset the "normal" window size.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Pam--

I have one question--is she getting any error message or box at all when this happens? If it is a "window two small" problem that Jefferson mentioned, after you manually stretch to the size to be remembered, I find closing it holding down the Ctrl key helps remembering.

There have been a number of threads lately IE and problems opening links. I don't know that any of them hit your problem, but I'll list a few of the threads, a KB I found "somewhat" similar, and some of the KB's in the threads people have offered up. A few general things I would try first though. Pop Up Stoppers can do this. You've probably cleared your cookies and TIF's. Run System File Checker--which has been explained well in the recent XP threads by going to a command line at the run box or the dos prompt and putting in "sfc/ purge cache" which will go quickly and then "sfc /scannow." No harm will come from this--may have to hit retry several times to keep the progress bar going, and it'll probably want your XP CD Rom in--(this tool checks many types of files and if damaged will replace them and corrects a number of problems in IE or XP--but doesn't correct a number of others.)

One KB that mentions .pdfs is 305153: Internet Explorer Opens a Blank Page with a Placeholder Icon instead of a .pdf File in Adober Acrobat Reader. Other KB's dealing with IE opening Windows:

1) 281679: You Cannot Open Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens When You Click a Link
    2) 306831: Error Message When You Browse the Web: An Error Has Occurred in the Script
    3) 281679:You Cannot Open New Explorer Window or Nothing Happens When You Click a Link--the Update
    4) 272322: The Open in a Window Command May Not Work

See these threads:

Thread 1 and thread 2 and thread 3.

See IE6 Opens Blank (Empty) Windows and Can't Access Some Websites.

Hope something here helps.

SMBP

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, guys! I checked with the user this morning and she is not having any problems opening any links. How does a problem correct itself? I will remember your suggestions for the next time this happens!