New Lounger
    Thanks

Reosurce Pools (Proj 2002 & 2000)

Hello: i've read several threads and books on resource pools, and that has provoked this question. We will be using several project plans and sharing resources among them. Some of the users will be using a local master and inserting subprojects into them. (We are moving to Proj server in a few months.) THese subprojects have been linked to the resource pool file. The masters obviously are not the resource pool file.

WOuld it be better to use one master (put the resource pool here) and then insert all the subprojects, and the users all share the master? Or better to leave as is (projects linked to resource pool, then inserted into local masters?).

Cheers~

Thanks

Re: Reosurce Pools (Proj 2002 & 2000)

Although I am not using Proj 2002, I find it easier when using a system that ties many projects together to a linked resource pool as the resources are easier to maintain. But then again, I haven't used resource pools in MS Project in a while. Both ways have plusses and minuses based on the setup of your system and your users. So, I am unfortunately not going to be much help here.

Please let us know which way you go when you make your decision as it will be interesting to review.

Thanks.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)

Star Lounger
    Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada
    Thanks

I am currently using MSP 2002 with multiple sub projects and i will be sharing resources around the globe. I have set up my project to use a single resource pool located in the master. At the sub project level, when tasks are assigned, they can check allocation and/or availability before hand. Having a single source also eliminates the duplicates that can happen across multiple projects when authors use different references for the same resource. I guess the bottom line is i found it quite efficient and effective to use a master resource pool.

mike

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, i am also using a single resource pool file. My question has to do with when to link the subprojs's to the resource pool file: prior to inserting into the master or after inserting into the master. Or does it even matter? I am linking my subprojs to the resource pool and then inserting those subproj's into a master project shell. The master itself is never linked to the resource pool. I've also noticed that when editing these subproj's, i seem to avoid problems by first deleting them from the master, making the changes, then re-inserting them back into the master.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

What i have found is that the resources are listed in the master, then in the sub project you select the option to use the resource pool from the master. If by chance you have to add a resource to a sub project, it adds it to the master automatically. The master itself is controlling the resources list and from the master you can view resource allocations for each resource used across multiple projects.

New Lounger
    Thanks

It seems there are perhaps different "religious" views on this. Some of the threads have stated emphatically to not put anything in the master file, but without specifying their reasons. I'm guessing they've found some negative results from this. 'Sounds like your experience doesn't bear that out. By using my approach, I have noticed that I need to monitor the linked files from within the Resource Pool. Today for example, I found duplicates linked up in the resource pool file, which overstated the assigned hours for individual resources. That was easily fixed. Still would like to hear from the "don't put anything in the master" advocates~

Thanks for your comments, John and glad to hear form a Cannuck. (I live in Seattle, so you practically a neighbor...maybe.)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I am sure there might be some instances where using sub pools make sense, i just not sure what the problems would be of using just a master pool. With your duplicates issue, that is a benefit of using a master pool, to find overstated and overallocated events, etc. The end result is using what you think will be easier to manage or what you are used to....its not necessarily the best way but it is a familar way. Yeah, Seattle.....that is right around the corner......maybe i'll bump into getting coffee or something!

Take Care!