New Lounger
    Thanks

Startup disk for Win XP Pro (Windows XP - Pro)

I used a EZ-Bios setup to install a new drive and after that I installed Windows XP. My question is that How do I make startup disks for Win Xp and what files do I have to restore in order for XP to work. Please Help!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup disk for Win XP Pro (Windows XP - Pro)

EZ-bios is a program that helps older computers deal with newer, 'oversized' hard drives. It's only used on older computers that don't have the ability to update their BIOS. Usually this kind of computers is uncabable to run Windows XP. If you installed WinXP successfully, chances are good you don't need EZ-bios at all.

Windows XP is highly stable operating system and it doesn't require any "recovery startup" floppies - it has emergency recovery capability that is also running from the hard drive. If you unable to boot from the hard drive with WinXP installed at all, that means, your hard drive failed and you need to replace it anyway.

In your case, I would recommend update your BIOS, uninstall EZ-bios, reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows XP. However, if your system is stable and running, just backup your documents on the regular basis and forget about startup disks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Sorry, I don't agree with you about the XP Startup Disk. I do agree, however, with the idea of NOT using any type of hard drive setup software from drive manufacturers if the hardware is capable of dealing with today's environment. In the Windows XP environment, there are THREE types of floppy diskettes that, IMHO, every user should make. Unfortunately, with our search facility down, I can't find the MS instructional links quickly enough to place them here. There is what used to be called a "DOS" Boot floppy, which will simply boot the machine into a non-Windows situation. You could just as well use a Win98 boot floppy for that if you want. There is also a STARTUP disk which, if your USER PROFILE was to get corrupt, will allow you to start WinXP from a floppy disk. Everyone should make one! Thirdly, there is a password recovery floppy that is SPECIFIC to a machine and USER, that will allow you to change your password if you should forget what it is. Since I can't (for now) find the MS links to the instructions about these items, you should go to the MS sites and start looking about!

Banned Member
    Thanks

Go to this Microsoft page and scroll down to load WinXP Setup Boot Disks. Read how to use them before you download.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank You guys for all you're help. The link really helped out and I was able to run XP again. Thanx Big AL