Lounger
    Thanks

Set Language Problem? (XP/SP-1)

I recently worked in a file from one of our secretaries. After I worked in her file, I noticed a number of oddities in various dialog boxes and menus at my PC.

I noticed under Tools, Options, the new appearance of a Complex Scripts tab. Then on the Tools menu I noticed Fix Broken Text. Find & Replace now contains references to Match kashida, diacritics, alef hamza, control characters. Page Setup now lets me choose a Section direction: Left-to-right or vice versa. Format, Paragraph now also includes Right-to-left or left-to-right choices under Indents and Spacing, General. When I look at the definition of Normal I now see TNR, 12 pts, English U.S., Complex Script Font: TNR, 12, (Complex) Arabic Saudi Arabia, Left-to-right etc. etc. There's lots of other changes in dialog boxes reflecting (I believe) Word's belief that we're now using Arabic as a language as well as English U.S.

The secretary admitted to "clicking around" (her words) Language, Set Language, when she had a problem spell-checking the document. SHe thinks she *might* have clicked on a language other than English U.S. I think she clicked on Arabic Saudi Arabia.

Now we are having problems with DeltaView comparisons - only when done at my PC and another where this nasty doc was opened.

What has happened? How do I get things back to the way they were?

Thanks for any insights!

Anne

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Set Language Problem? (XP/SP-1)

Try looking at Start | Microsoft Office Tools | Microsoft Office XP Language Settings.

De-select th languages you don't want to use.

Thanks

It's dangerous to let documents update your style definitions, as you've discovered. If you have a backup of your Normal.dot template, that might be the quickest way to regain some sense of sanity. Otherwise, carefully changing Normal and your other style definitions might do as well. Not sure if more extensive changes might be required to update the dialogs...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I play it safe by making Normal.dot read-only, and, as needed, have app specific templates with particular styles, macros, autotext, ... .

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Howard!

I looked at that and compared it to settings at a machine where this problem does not exist. There are no differences between the Office Language Settings at my PC vs. at the other machine.

A few things I've tried:
    - I have deleted my normal.dot and started Word, and the problem is still present.

- I then made a copy of normal.dot from the well behaved machine. I deleted normal.dot from my machine, then pasted the "good" normal.dot. Started Word - and voila the problem still exists.

- I examined the normal style of normal.dot at the "well-behaved" machine, and it was as expected: Times New Roman, 12 pt, English (US), Left; Line Spacing: SIngle, Widow/Orphan Control. I examine the normal style of the good normal.dot at my machine & it contains references to a Complex Script Font: Times New Roman, 12 pt, (Complex) Arabic Saudi Arabia, Left-to-right, Left ...

This leads me to think there is something changed in my registry (?).

We load a number of other templates at open, and I feel I should look at them as well.

Any other ideas?

Anne

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Anne:
    Does this occur with all files now or just this single file? I don't have WinXP or Word 2002, but this is what I would try:

First, there are 3 places where language is controlled. As Howard mentioned, you should uncheck the languages you're not using. Do this both in the particular document & in normal.dot. Make sure Automatically detect languages isn't set. To see where the other two places are to control language, check out <!post=this thread, 211146>this thread<!/post>.

Secondly, if that doesn't fix it, try the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.
    Hope this helps,

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Phil,

This occurs with all documents, when I use my login at my PC. If I use a different login at my PC, no problem. If I login at a different PC, no problem. I just sent a long summary to the Word-PC list of everything I've checked & done to solve this problem, all to no avail. I do think I am headed towards your step #4, Delete the Data Key.

Will let you know what happens!

Anne