dying93

User can't receive rich or HTML messages

The user is trying to see a message from someone but unless it is in plain text it is received in Chinese characters.

I can send the user a message in Plain Text and it will go through fine, but once I send her an email in Rich Text or HTML everything is in Chinese.

She is able to the Rich documents with Lotus notes however.

She is using Outlook 2000.

Thanks

dying93

Re: User can't receive rich or HTML messages

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

look in the header and see what character set is being used. check your language settings in tools > options and use West. European (ISO)

dying93

hmmmm this didn't work...

the user's settings were OK in that area.

I guess that I will have to try uninstalling and reinstalling the entire Office Suite.

(Outlook 2000 cannot be uninstalled seperately the way that things are configured here)

Thanks for trying to help out though.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

My problem sounds partially related to this ancient post so I'll stick it on the same thread. It's weird.

I cannot receive HTML mails that are sent by people within my own company who are connected directly to the server. The msgs come through as plain text, even if they show up as HTML in the sender's "Sent Messages."

The messages do come through as HTML if they send to my personal (non-company) address. The same message, cc'd to both addresses, arrives as plain text in my company mail and as HTML in my personal box.

I, and one other co-worker, work from home; we connect via our own local ISPs, though mail goes through the company server. I can get HTML from him, and I can get HTML from myself.

Outsiders (senders from outside our server) can send me HTML, no problem.

Isn't this weird? What could it be? Our glorious Certified Outlook Support Wizards assert that this isn't happening. (Actually that's not what they say, but they do say there's no explanation in the training they received before getting certified....)

Haaaaalp?

Dave

p.s. Oh yeah, some of the same co-workers can't send me vCards. They do show up as vCards in their Sent Message, but when I receive it, each one is an empty message attachment with the card's name as the subject. vCards arrive fine from other co-workers in the company, and they arrive fine at my personal account. Related problem?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'm re-posting this from last Nov - didn't get any replies back then. Thoughts, anyone?

I've since migrated to Exchange Server and I continue to have the same problem intermittently. Some messages are sent Rich but I receive them as plain text. What settings could possibly cause this??

----

My problem sounds partially related to this ancient post so I'll stick it on the same thread. It's weird.

I cannot receive HTML mails that are sent by people within my own company who are connected directly to the server. The msgs come through as plain text, even if they show up as HTML in the sender's "Sent Messages."

The messages do come through as HTML if they send to my personal (non-company) address. The same message, cc'd to both addresses, arrives as plain text in my company mail and as HTML in my personal box.

I, and one other co-worker, work from home; we connect via our own local ISPs, though mail goes through the company server. I can get HTML from him, and I can get HTML from myself.

Outsiders (senders from outside our server) can send me HTML, no problem.

Isn't this weird? What could it be? Our glorious Certified Outlook Support Wizards assert that this isn't happening. (Actually that's not what they say, but they do say there's no explanation in the training they received before getting certified....)

Haaaaalp?

Dave

p.s. Oh yeah, some of the same co-workers can't send me vCards. They do show up as vCards in their Sent Message, but when I receive it, each one is an empty message attachment with the card's name as the subject. vCards arrive fine from other co-workers in the company, and they arrive fine at my personal account. Related problem?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wish someone could solve this I now have the same problem after having to reinstall OUtlook 98 yesterday. It didn't do it before and I can't find any options to turn it off! I also can't save the messages in RTF format, which is what we are supposed to do according to our QA procedures.

Please, can't somebody help????

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Replying to self here... this problem persists. (I just switched off Exchange Server, back to Internet Mail Only, and the problem persists.)

I cannot receive Rich Text messages from within my company, or from some outside people. Test results:

1. From my office account Outlook, I write to myself (to the same account) in rich text. Whether I view it in Outlook or via Exchange Server Web Access, it's plain text.

2. If I do the same thing using Outlook Express, the rich text comes through okay, whether I send from my office account or a personal account.

What could possibly be wrong??

It sure can be a problem to not see the formatting and emphasis that my co-workers put into important messages.

(The earlier part of this thread, from previous months, shows others have the same problem.)