New Lounger
    Thanks

XP Home install problem (Windows XP Home)

I recently finished building a computer for myself and I started installing XP Home (purchased OEM). I followed the install procedures, but when my computer restarts, it boots from the CD and tries to reinstall what I just installed. I've tried changing my BIOS boot settings and sequence, but nothing worked. I completely wasted this past week trying to get XP to install completely. My Dad even bought me "Windows XP for Dummies", that's where I this site and forum. Any help would be appreciated, This is my computer's configuration now:

Albatron PX845PEV Pro
    Intel P4 2.4 GHz
    512 MB PC2100
    40GB 7200 RPM Western Digital HD
    Yamaha 40x24x40 CD-RW
    ATI Radeon 9500 Pro
    V.92 Modem

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP Home install problem (Windows XP Home)

If you reboot without the CD in the drive, what happens then? You might want to check for a BIOS upgrade as well, if changing the settings for the boot sequence are not having any effect.
    -Mark

New Lounger
    Thanks

When I try rebooting without the CD the computer says that there was a Boot system error and that I need to insert a boot disc and push enter to continue. I was looking at updating the BIOS, but the computer (the one that isn't working) doesn't have an internet connection, so how could I update the BIOS?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't update the BIOS through the Internet, so you'll have to download the BIOS image from the manufacturer's website, along with the BIOS flashing utility, and stick it on a floppy disk. The floppy also needs to be a bootable floppy, which is an option you can select when formatting - or you can go to Bootdisk.com and download a startup floppy from there.

Can you be more specific about the error message? What is the exact text of the message that appears? Does it occur during or after the POST (power-on self test)?
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Sometimes cause of the problem is very simple...

Check once again, how your hard drive and CD-ROM are physically connected: is hard drive connected to the primary controller, is jumper setting right (master, standalone or cable select), is CD-ROM secondary master or primary slave with appropriate jumper setting etc.

Banned Member
    Thanks

<hr>when my computer restarts, it boots from the CD and tries to reinstall what I just installed<hr>

Are you selecting anything when it restarts? Or are you just letting it do it's thing? Do you have more then one Hard drive Installed? And like the post above ask, how have you have everything setup, including jumpers?