Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP and PWS (2000/SP-3)

I apparently need either IIS or Personal Web Server to display ASP. I find that Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, does not provide PWS for XP and only provides IIS support for XP Pro. I have XP Home Edition, so no joy.

Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I can no longer find where to download IIS, which used to be a solution. HELP.

Thanks

Re: XP and PWS (2000/SP-3)

Wow, I had no idea. Microsoft suggests you buy XP Pro (see Microsoft Knowledge Base Article 304197 - INFO: Personal Web Server Is Not Included with Windows XP Home Edition).

While it is awfully convenient to develop on one box, you might be able to find a cheap Windows 98 PC with PWS and publish to that (just on a local network) for testing.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: XP and PWS (2000/SP-3)

Your suggestion is a good one, although inconvenient.

[rant on]
    I did notice in the article you mentioned that FrontPage 2002 is also a solution, although probably a limited one. Now I see their (Microsoft's) marketing plan, which is a pattern. Give 'em free stuff (PWS and free IIS downloads) until some point in which they rely on it, then build it out so they have to pay for yet one more piece. They would also lead you to believe that only people with business reasons would want this stuff. Well I'm here to tell you, IT AIN'T SO!!!
    [rant off]

Sorry, just a little miffed. You'd think an MCSE would be used to this stuff.