Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Remote Assistance (XP SR1 Home)

So far I have had absolutely no success with the so-called Remote Assistance feature of XP using email. I've tried it with a friend that is on the same cable network, and we have tried it in both directions. When he sends me a Remote Assistance file and I click on it I get the following error message:

The procedure entry point DoOpenPipeStream could not be located in the dll ScrRun.dll

When we reverse the procedure he gets a message something to the effect that his computer cannot find my domain or something similar.

Both of us link to cable through simple routers. Is there some secret to this setup? We don't use instant messaging, as neither of us wants that running on our computer.

Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Remote Assistance (XP SR1 Home)

Do either of you Windows XP Pro?

If not that is the problem.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

No, we're both running XP Home. However, nowhere in the "Help Support" area did I find a requirement that one of the computers had to be Pro. In fact, here is a quote from a Microsoft web page titled "Using Remote Assistance"

"Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP. "

Again, no mention that one of them has to be Pro.

Did I miss something here?

Thanks

Hi, Chuck ~

It isn't clear to me how that error message and RA are connected, but Remote Network Technology states that it's very likely that some other application you have installed put an older version of scrrun.dll on your system, causing this error. The version in the 'system32' folder should still be the correct one so you can probably just re-register it and all should be well. Type regsvr32 scrrun.dll from any command prompt.

If you do have RA enabled on both machines, Scot's Newsletter reports that it only works with static public IP addresses that have full access to the Internet. This is because the IP address is sent with the RA invitation, and the assisting computer expects to be able to contact the requesting computer at that IP address. Computers behind a firewall that blocks port 3389 or those that use a router with Network Address Translation (NAT) -- including Internet Connections Sharing -- won't be able to use the Remote Assistance feature. For the same reason, a dial-up user who sends a RA invitation and then logs off and back on will most likely receive a different IP address (if your ISP dynamically assigns IP addresses), making the invitation useless. MS may have remedied this issue, but as of this post I found no such documentation.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Chuck,

Both Home and Pro can request remote assistance but ONLY Pro can provide it. It is listed in all the charts and books that I have seen that way.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Dave,

I just hadn't found it stated anywhere I looked, even on Microsoft's own web page.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Not sure what you two are trying to do, but just for the heck of it, please take a look at <!post=my recent post.,258389>my recent post.<!/post>

Super Moderator
    Thanks

BigAl,
    They are trying to connect "Remote Assistance" NOT desktop.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Dave, I did a search on 'remote assistance' and came up with a ton of articles. None of the KB articles I read have the XP Pro stipulation.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

HI, Chuck ~

I think DaveA may be referring to MS's confusingly similar named 'Offer Remote Assistance' feature. This feature requires the computer of the expert user as well as the computer of the novice user (that the expert user is going to help) to be members of the same domain, or members of trusted domains. Domains are used in corporate networks for security purposes and a network administrator usually manages them. The 'Offer Remote Assistance' feature is not a viable option for most home-based networks as the 'Offer Remote Assistance Policy Setting'
    in the Microsoft Management Console (MMC) Group Policy snap-in is not available in XP Home nor does it have the 'Remote Desktop'

You can in fact use 'Remote Assistance' on XP Home to XP Home. I personally find it easiest by using the Windows Messenger Instant Messaging method, but here is the full Step-by-Step Guide to Remote Assistance methods.

If you are on a Small Office/Home Office LAN presuming the use of static IP addressing, you may have to use the Invitation by File method.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

You must read the title of the page that the information is at, and will apply to that version.

Check out http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/eva...on/features.asp
    <font color=red><big>Windows XP Professional Features</big></font color=red>

Remote Assistance Remote Assistance enables a user to share control of his or her computer with someone on a network or the Internet. An administrator or friend can view the user's screen, and control the pointer and keyboard to help solve a technical problem. IT departments can build custom solutions, on top of published APIs using HTML, to tailor Remote Assistance to their needs, and the feature can be centrally enabled or disabled. Will reduce the amount of time system administrators spend at users' desks. Many administrative and troubleshooting tasks can now be done from the administrators' own desks.

Remote Desktop Allows users to create a virtual session onto their desktop computers using the Microsoft Remote Desktop Protocol (RDP). Allows users to access all of their data and applications housed on their desktop computers from another computer running Windows 95 or later that is connected to their machine via a network.

{http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/ev...on/features.asp
    <font color=red><big>Windows XP Home Edition Features</big></font color=red>
    Remote Assistance Provides you with the <font color=blue>ability to invite</font color=blue> a trusted friend or support professional also running Windows XP to be your remote assistant. Through an Internet connection, your assistant can chat with you, observe your working screen, and, with your permission, remotely control your computer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. That's about what I understand after reading all the materials I could find.

As soon as my friend gets his new computer back on the air I'll give it another try. We are both operating local LANs behind a router, so perhaps we should use the file transfer method.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

SMBP,
    Did you read the pages that I linked above?

It has been this way from day one, Home does NOT have the software to provide assistance only the request. The beta testers fought to have the assistance provider in both versions, but MS said NO, and IT is not there today. This has been one of the selling points for the Pro version.

The statement is correct that both machine MUST be running Windows XP, but the provider MUST be running Windows XP Pro. I have 3 machines with Pro and one with Home. The home machine can NOT provide any assistance.

One MORE TIME go to http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/ev...on/features.asp which is a HOME information page and you will find <font color=red><big> "Provides you with the ability to invite a trusted friend or support professional also running Windows XP to be your remote assistant. Through an Internet connection, your assistant can chat with you, observe your working screen, and, with your permission, remotely control your computer."</font color=red></big>

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Dave--

Every book and Microsoft Site and remote assistance session I have been at confirms that the helper providing the assistance and the recipient can have either Home or Pro. It just has to be Windows XP.
    Using Remote Assistance
    Technet's Step by Step Guide to Remote Assistance
    Requirements for Windows XP Remote Assistance from InformIt

This is pasted from the first link from Microsoft's Windows XP Site:
    <font color=blue>"To use Remote Assistance, you will need:Two computers running Microsoft Windows XP Professional or Windows XP Home Edition. The computer receiving assistance and the computer providing assistance must both run Windows XP"</font color=blue>

One obstacle that sometimes gets in the way of two people connecting for one of these sessions is the firewall configuration of both of them--and a good deal of the time either the helper or the helpee is behind a network firewall. As one of the links says, if either Chuck or his friend are behind a firewall, they will need to allow Remote Assistance traffic via the outbound TCP port 3398.

Troubleshooting checks should include:
    1) Ticking the box to "allow remote assistance to be sent from this computer" in the System dialogue box.
    2) If someone is on dial up, the ISP may assign them a different IP address every time they go online--and when the helper tries to call back, they won't be calling the right address.
    3) Routers can complicate things.

So I wonder if Chuck or his partner are behind a correctly configured firewall and if their routers are configured to do this--Bruce's link hit this well. You can hook up for remote assistance without ever having heard about Group Policy, the Microsoft Management Console, group policy objects, domain membership, active directory, the domain wizard, or IntelliMirror or Windows XP Pro.

I'm not sure how to correlate the error that Chuck's getting, but I'm also not sure that the article Bruce pulled it from here on the msn public scripting wsh newsgroup archive is the only context which evokes the error or applies to these two people trying to connect through remote desktop or will impact them.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

<span style="background-color: #FFFF00; color: #000000; font-weight: bold">"Did you read the pages that I linked above?"</span hi>

Absolutely--I've linked to that page on the lounge many times. I make it a point to read every post you do. Plenty of useful information, tips and insight in them. I am not sure why one of your four machines can't give assistance, but lack of Pro isn't the reason. Like Joe, I have not seen anything, anywhere or heard one word from Microsoft that says you can't both give and receive help with Home. That isn't the problem here. And if you read the statement again, it says nothing about the trusted friend being required to have Windows XP Professional. It would be one ridiculous omission in all these books, KB's which never distinguish between the two--take a look at all of them--plus MS was emphatic that you could in all their demos pre-launch and post launch and is today. There were plenty of ridiculous marketing tricks to make people want to buy Pro, and certainly features that should have been in both--but that wasn't one of them.

If that's the case, then the explicit statements like the one I quoted in blue above all over their sites and in many of the better books on XP are dead wrong. Books by Mark Minasi, David Karp (O'Reilly), David Pogue (O'Reilly), Ed Bott (Microsoft Press--XP Inside Out), Peter Norton, Curt Simmons, Martin Mathews, Robert Cowart, Brian Knittel and Woody Leonhard all stipulate that Windows XP and not Pro is a requirement for the expert and the novice (relative terms). Further, the Windows XP Professional Resource Manual by Microsoft Press --one of the MSDN Bibles for XP-- states you need only use Windows XP in its extensive article. These books say it can be any version of XP on a machine--with the exception of a Windows 64-bit machine.

Every one of the 30-40 KB articles on Remote Assistance agrees with this. There is one with an anbiguous statement about GPO's, but it does not contradict this. None of these sources differentiates between the expert and the novice's requirements.

From Microsoft Windows XP Power Pack by Que just out p. 382 and one of the most helpful for advanced tips:

<font color=blue>"Remote Assistance is Available in Windows XP Professional and Home editions."</font color=blue>

<font color=red>See <A target="_blank" HREF="http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/focuson/remoteassist.asp">Expert Zone: Focus on Remote Assistance in Windows XP for Collection of Helpful Articles</font color=red>:

"Q. Does Remote Assistance work on previous versions of the Windows operating system?

A. No, Remote Assistance is not supported on previous versions of Windows. Both helpers and requestors must be using Windows XP."

<font color=blue>KB's That May Help:</font color=blue>

311889: Cannot Establish A Remote Assistance Connection
    Q300692: Description of the Remote Assistance Connection Process
    306045: Remote Assistance Cannot Connect
    306791:How to Provide Remote Assistance in Response to an Email Invitation in Windows X
    Q305898: Terminal Service Settings That Affect Remote Assistance
    301529: Supported Connection Scenarios for Remote Assistance

All the Microsoft meetings that demonstrated this pre-launch stipulated just an XP machine was necessary. I do understand that in Remote Desktop, which isn't the topic on this thread, that incoming Remote Desktop connections can only be enabled on Win XP Pro.

Questions I would ask Chuck are:
    1) Since you're using an RA ticket (the Microsoft Remote Assistance Incident with the extension .msrcincident) and not Windows Messenger, double check that the ticket file is pointing to the correct IP address--the current IP address of the novice's machine.
    2) These gentlemen are using routers, so if the source of the private IP address is a hardware router or residential gateway, the connection will work if the router supports UPnP (Universal Plug and Play) and if either router was manufactured before 2001, then they probably don't support it unless their firewall upgrades this.
    3) If both routers are behind NAT devices that are not UPnP compatible, the connection won't work.If only one computer is using a private IP address whose source is a router or gateway that isn't using UPnP compatible, then it can be done, but it's going to be more tricky.

In case this is the problem, Chuck, why not try to use Windows Messenger Instant Messaging via the KB that Bruce linked [url="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;306800"]306800</A> which is the preferred method?

Below are screenshots of the very clear wording in both articles I linked from Technet and the Microsoft XP site, as well as the Help and Support notice on Remote Assistance--which is a component of Help and Support.

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast