Star Lounger
    Thanks

Poor Quality Screen Print (OfficeXP)

Since I got WindowsXP and OfficeXP, I can't print a clear screen print. Previously, in Word 95 and Word97, I pressed SCREEN PRINT then copied my graphic to PaintBrush and edited. Then I copied it again and took it back to Word, used PASTE SPECIAL and DEVICE INDEPENDENT BITMAP to insert a beautiful graphic in Word.

Now, I can only get very fuzzy prints that look as if they have been faxed on very bad fax machines. Can you help me? I've tried going back to Word97, but I still can't get a clear print.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Poor Quality Screen Print (OfficeXP)

Reva,

This doesn't gibe with my experience with 'print screen's in WindowsXP/Office XP - they seem to work just as well as they have with previous versions of Windows and Office.

Have you by any chance changed any display/resolution settings in Windows XP, compared with what you previously had?
    (for example, go to Control Panel > Display > Settings tab and check screen resolution and color quality).

Gary

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I don't think I've changed anything in the display. I'm running 800X600. I notice the color says "Higest 32 bit." I don't have the same options I had with W98.

But remember, it's a printing problem. Some of the copies (but not all) look perfect on the screen, but they are awful when I print.

My printer (Laserjet 4L) prints other graphics beautifully. I'll admit that I can't find the graphics setting on the printer in this new system. I could always set it before.

I very much appreciate your help. I've got to do a report for my business and incorporate some screen prints.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

If you're using the same printer as before, but some of the print settings are now missing, possibly you don't have the updated driver for this printer installed in Win XP?

Thanks

What happens if you paste as a Picture? I realize it isn't double-click editable from inside Word when you paste that way, but I'm wondering whether the problem is with PaintBrush (or whatever the program is that renders the Device independent Bitmap)? I can't recall anyone mentioning having problems printing ordinary pictures in Word documents. As a quick test, you could select the pictures and pres Ctrl+Shift+F9 to "unlink" the objects to pictures. (This assumes they are inline with text; not sure how to deal with floating/drawing layer bitmaps.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Windows XP has an anti-aliasing option that may influence the quality of sceen prints. In the Appearance tab of the Display Properties control panel, there is a button labeled "Effects". This opens the Effects dialog. I contains a check box "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts". If this box is checked, you can try selecting another option in the dropdown list below it (on my PC, the options are 'Standard' and 'ClearType', and you can also try clearing the check box.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

So far, none of these ideas have worked.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I cannot find a later driver for my HP LaserJet 4L. I have found that I can get a good looking print from my networked laptop using the same printer. I merely set the graphics to FINE instead of COARSE. I can't find taht option in Windows XP. Nor can I find the option for Vector or Raster graphics.

I have Windows98 set for Vector graphics. Is that right?

Any idea where I might be able to adjust the setting for printing graphics in WXP? This is very frustrating.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

On my LaserJet 4 I can't find any way to set the printer to Raster versus Vector graphics. I think you can manually set it in the printer, but XP may over-ride it - I know the halftone option under Graphics has some impact on which mode is used.
    Wendell