New Lounger
    Thanks

Printing Rubbish Under ME

Just this week I was called to investigate a printer which had started to pump out rubbish! The system is a DELL running ME with an HP DJ 2100 attached as a local printer. I spoke to the user and was told that on Thursday am, when she booted the machine, the printer would not work. After some effort she managed to get the printer working but it would only print nonsense. So,
    I reset the printer - cleared the print queues, and then powered off and back on - and printed a test page -> rubbish!
    I uninstalled the HP printer completely, powered the machine off and on and re-installed the printer from the HP CD-ROM -> rubbish!
    I started to suspect the printer, so I replaced the DELL with a nearby notebook - worked just fine!
    I coupled up the DELL again and printed to another printer, this time across the network - just fine!

I am now at a loss to explain why this printer fails!

Any ideas?
    Chrs
    Mike

Thanks

Re: Printing Rubbish Under ME

The cable?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Tnx for the response...when I replaced the DELL with the notebook, I used the same cable and the printer worked. After pondering the issue, I am of the opinion that there may be some tag hidden in the HP utility program which configures the printer - I wil check this today.

Chrs

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Given the trial and error work you've already done, I hesitate to ask this, but..... Do you have another printer you could try on the Dell? Never seen it happen, but could it be possible that the LPT port on the Dell has gone belly-up?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Al,
    Tnx for the response - in fact this is basically the cause of the problem - LPT had gone bad, because...... the cleaning person had knocked the connector and bent the pins! I gingerly straightened them and replaced the cable and we are now running.

Chrs
    Mike