5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Label fonts (Word 97)

I am creating video tape labels. I don't seem to see a style for them per se, such as I do for Envelopes. Where would I define a style to be applied to a set of video labels so that I don't have to select the label text and format the font and paragraph every time? Using Avery 5199s. Also, can I get text to be vertical, not horizontal, so that the spine reads well standing on a shelf? TYIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Label fonts (Word 97)

The approach would depend on your needs. First of all, you can define custom dimensions in the Tools/Envelopes & Labels/Labels tab dialog box. If you create a page of labels & format it the way you want, & then save it as AutoText, you can easily recreate it.

The label dialog box creates a new document based on the normal template. Therefore, it uses the default style for the normal template. If you are making only a minor font change, you could change the font temporarily by opening a new document, going to Format/Font/ changing the font & clicking the Default...button. If you have Tools/Options/Save tab/Prompt to save normal template checked, you can reject the permanent change when you close Word.

However, if you are making labels for a number of videos, I assume that you have a list somewhere. In that case, I would definitely use the Tools/Mail Merge route. Once you format a label in your main document once, you can complete the merge with the data source & maintain the same formatting. You can save the main document (the boilerplate doc with the merge codes in it) & use it with different data sources in the future. If you have any questions about this, please post back.
    Cheers,

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 26-May-03 13:30. I misunderstood something the first time. (Whoops))</P>You can define your own styles. It can be as simple as setting up the text one time (include the paragraph symbol in your changes for best results), then, with your insertion point in that paragraph, choose Format>Style...>New... and give your style a name. Usually the style will be saved in your global Normal.dot template by default, but if you are creating a video labels template, you can change the save location and save it just in that template, if you like.

Regarding vertical text, support for this was limited in Word 97. I think you had to use WordArt or a picture, or print them separately.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<hr>Regarding vertical text, support for this was limited in Word 97. I think you had to use WordArt or a picture, or print them separately<hr>
    Word 97 allows vertical text in a text box. Select INSERT/TEXT BOX then, with the text box selected, FORMAT/TEXT DIRECTION.

Tony.
    Regards,

Tony
    [s] [/s]
    www.SylviArtist.com