2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sending Outlook email to distribution list (2000 sr1)

I have an Access database that creates a report that needs to be emailed to about 80 people. Instead of updating the list via a table, I'd like to use an existing Outlook distribution list (used to email other info to the group), but Access doesn't seem to want to recognize the list when entered in either a macro or VBA code. Can Access/Outlook do this?

Thanks!

Larry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Sending Outlook email to distribution list (2000 sr1)

I believe the answer depends at least to some extent on whether you are using Exchange Server, or whether you have defined a group in Outlook Contacts. The former is pretty straightforward, but the latter is more of a challenge. I presume you are attempting to use SendMail to email your report (you are using Outlook and not Outlook Express, right?). If you aren't using Exchange, then I think you will have to resort to Automation to get the list and have it properly process by Outlook.

BTW, what kind of report are you emailing - Access snapshot, RTF, or what?
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Wendell,

Thanks for the reply. I am trying to send a RTF file via either Sendmail as well as docmd in VBA (same command, different format). The group is defined in Outlook contacts, but we are using an Exchange Server (somewhere in the configuration - I'm more familiar with Access than Outlook). I don't mind getting the list from Outlook in VBA and processing it. That shouldn't be too terribly painful (I hope!)

Larry

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I think if you define the group in Exchange instead of in Outlook Contacts, your SendMail should work just fine.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - unfortunately, I don't know if that is possible. Is plan B painful?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

<hr>Is plan B painful?<hr>
    Moderately so - first you need to be reasonably comfortable with Automation (see our Automation tutorial if you aren't), and then you need to be fairly comfortable with the Outlook object model - I think it may involve actually going into the group you've defined in Outlook and then stepping through it to get each member's email address. As you probably surmise, I've not done it that way. It is possible other loungers have tackled this - let's see if anybody else steps up on it.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks - that's kinda what I figured. I've played with Automation on an infrequent basis (I even have a copy of the Outlook 2000 VBA Programmer's Reference and understand a bunch of it). I'll hang out and see if anyone has a solution. If not, I'll play around on this end.

Thanks again for your assistance. I'll look into if I get the distribution list posted on the Exchange Server as well.