Star Lounger
    Thanks

emailing from Access (Access 97)

Oh, I'm *so* lost without being able to search the Access lounge! Can't wait until this feature is back.

I need to send an email from Access. I have many front-ends running on Terminal Server (one front-end for each user stored in the user's own folder) and one backend. I don't want to install Outlook for each user as the SA doesn't want them using Terminal Server for their email. Any suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: emailing from Access (Access 97)

That's a major challenge - because you are running Terminal Services client on the workstation, it knows nothing about Access running on the server. You are simply sending screen updates and mouse/keyboard activity across the link. One suggestion I can think of is to create some sort of SMTP application to run on the Terminal Services host, and feed it the "reply to" address of the workstation email account - but it would not show up in their sent mail. Are you running Exchange Server on the network? That might provide some possibilities as well - with it you can specify send-on-behalf-of capabilities and so forth. In any event, it isn't going to be a trivial exercise. An option that sort of uses Outlook on the host would be to not provide a short-cut to Outlook, but to allow it to be started with Automation and keep it invisible to the end-user. I think I'm just throwing out ideas, so hopefully someone else will have some experience in this scenario.
    Wendell

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

FMS has just announced a new product called Total Access Emailer. It can send emails without using Outlook. Find them at http://www.fmsinc.com .
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to activate link - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

Take a look at http://www.aspemail.com/
    --------------------------------------------------
    Jack MacDonald
    Vancouver, Canada