Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File Conversion (2000)

Having just been upgraded from Word97 to Word2000 at work, I'm somewhat perplexed by Word2000 being very noticeably slower than 97 at opening any document, even when opened and closed already in 2000. However, my main beef is the fact that some documents, and particularly text files that open in Word by default, are both slow and also show a File Conversion window that asks if the document is wanted in Plain Text or a particular encoding. All I ever want is Plain Text, but I cannot find any way of letting Word know this and give me Plain Text by default and without asking! Has anyone got any ideas on this? Thanks in advance.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: File Conversion (2000)

The General tab of the Tools | Options... dialog contains an option "Confirm Conversions on Open". If this option (which was already available in Word 97 and Word 95) is on, you'll be prompted when you open a text file.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hah! Now just HOW did I miss that! Thanks, Hans - I felt sure that there would be a way, but I just couldn't see it! Thanks again.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans. Actually, the solution you proposed doesn't really solve the problem! If 'Confirm Conversions' is ticked, then I get a small window asking what conversion needs to be done. I can pick Plain Text and that's the end of that, but it defaults to Encoding and allowing this gives the larger File Conversion box that I talked about before. If the 'Confirm Conversions' box is not ticked, then the Encoding selection is defaulted and I get the large File Conversions window straight away! Any further ideas? Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

According to WD2000: "File Conversion Encoding" Dialog Box Appears When You Open Text File, Word opens a text file directly if it uses plain text encoding, but it displays the Encoding dialog if it can't determine the encoding standard. The workarounds suggested in the MSKB article don't seem very useful.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for that, Hans, but I have to agree with you. The workrounds are not very useful at all. The macro approach is too limiting for opening a number of files, and the 'text only' approach still requires you to get past a totally useless screen! All I really want to do is forget about any encodings and just open everything as text. In fact, just like Word97 did for all these files! Oh well, it looks like I'll just have to get used to it. Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Keith,

Perhaps the following macro can be adapted to do what you want:

Sub OpenText()
    Dim strFile As String
    With Dialogs(wdDialogFileOpen)
    If .Display <> -1 Then Exit Sub
    strFile = .Name
    End With
    Documents.Open FileName:=strFile, Format:=wdOpenFormatText, _
    ConfirmConversions:=False, NoEncodingDialog:=True
    End Sub

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Do you have Norton Auntie Virus installed?
    If so make sure that NAV's Autoprotect is enabled and DISABLE the NADV Office plug-in.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Howard,

Can you explain why you recommend to "DISABLE the NADV Office plug-in" for this particular problem? I have the Office plug-in enabled and don't get prompted when opening a text file (presumably because Word recognizes the encoding standard of the text files I tested on.)

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

1. Because the poster complained about the speed of opening docs. NAV's plug-in significantly slows things down.

2. The plug-in is unnecessary, and Symantec has acknowledged this, as long as AutoProtect is enabled. The plug-in was added because there are alleged to be certain (porrly writtten) apps that cannot rin if NAV's AutoProtect is enabled, so the stop gap Office plug-in was added.

3. Enabling the NAV Office plug-in has been known to cause grief running macros.

I was addressing only the issue of speed, not the prompting.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard,

Clear enough. Thanks for the explanation.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Howard,
    No, we use McAfee VirusScan. Thanks anyway.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans, that works a treat. The only thing is (and I know I'm being picky here) that the files in question are almost always opened by double clicking on them in Explorer. I've associated .txt, .rpt and the like to Word, so they do start up Word - and then that blasted File Conversion dialog! Sorry about that.

Thanks

You'll notice in the File Types tab of Windows Explorer's Tools>Folder Options... dialog that you can specify something of a command line for your different file associations. While I don't fully understand the DDE command language, it does appear to be very similar to the old WordBasic macro language. In theory, there should be a way to invoke a macro when opening a file, but I don't know if this will operate on the file itself, or would run before or after Word tries to open the file normally. Hmmm...

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Nice idea! But does anyone know how to try this?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast