3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Not Able to Access Contact Address List for Emails (Outlook 2000)

I have a user with a Windows 98 machine and Outlook 2000. She has several names in her Contacts List with email addresses. When she selects New Mail from the Outlook In Box >To>Contacts as the address book she receives this error message: "The address list could not be displayed. The Contacts folder associated with this address list could not be opened; it may have been moved or deleted, or you do not have permissions. For information on how to remove this folder from the Outlook Address Book, see Microsoft Outlook Help." Even selecting the Address Book icon in the Tool Bar will give her the same error message. I've given her a work-around. Open Contacts, highlight the one wanted, click Actions & New Mail Message. My question for the Lounge is how do I make her Contacts List available for email using the New Mail button from the In Box? Thanks!

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Not Able to Access Contact Address List for Emails (Outlook 2000)

The 1st thing is to see if she's got the address book set up. Go to her Tools | Services. You should see Outlook Address Book listed. If not, click Add and add it. If it is there, you might remove it and create it again.

If the above doesn't work, it could be a corrupt profile. You can try creating another for the user.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It was there so I removed it and added it back. Now she has two Contacts Lists! One is empty and the other has her names in it. It is now available from the In Box . How do I get rid of the "extra" one? Just removing it from the Tools>Service did not take care of it? Thanks!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

May be easiest to remove them both and reset. After you remove them both, right-click the Contacts Folder, select Properties, and check two tabs:

Under the Permissions tab, make sure the User is set as Owner (just in case that's part of the problem).
    Under the the Outlook Address Book tab, make sure the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" is checked.

Now see if the folder is useable as an address book.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Did as you suggested. Same problem as above. Two Contacts List. One empty, one with names, both accessible as E-mail Address Books.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hmm. Did you close and restart Outlook after you removed the two services? Did you open the Address Book (double click the icon), select Tools, Options, and remove them from the Addressing dialog? Does the user have a second, empty, contacts folder?
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. That worked - logging out and back into Outlook!