Lounger
    Thanks

Use Outlook from Mozilla? (Outlook 2002 (XP))

As an experiment I've configured Mozilla 1.3 as my default browser, but I'm still using Outlook XP as my mail client. Is there any way to configure Mozilla to invoke Outlook when I click on an email address on a Web page? As it stands, Mozilla brings up its own composer when I do this.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Use Outlook from Mozilla? (Outlook 2002 (XP))

If you want to use just the browser feature of Mozilla - instead of the entire suite - how about trying Mozilla Firebird: the browser only component? Version 0.6 is available here. There is also a useful help page. Finally, some of the extensions - particularly the amplified version of tabbed browsing (once you get the hang of it) - can be useful. Please post to the Other Browsers Board if you have any further queries on Mozilla Firebird.
    Using the "browser only" version should take up less resources on your machine; improving your browsing speed still further. OTOH, if you are planning to use other parts of the Mozilla suite, post back here - as (from memory) I think you may be able to configure your Preferences to allow an external mail client.
    HTH
    Gre

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

To stay with the full Mozilla suite and use Outlook (or any other non-Mozilla email client), you need to include the following line in your "user prefs"<pre>user_pref("network.protocol-handler.external.mailto", true);</pre>

Please post back if you need help in understanding how to do this.
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the link to firebird. I was planning to download it and try it out - right now I have IE6, Mozilla 1.3 and Opera 7.02. Each has its strengths.

I would like to try your user_pref trick, but I was unable to identify which configuration file it should go into, and where. I found a bunch of .ini files and looked at them but of the ones that didn't say "don't edit me" I was unable to infer which one to use. Config.ini looked like a likely suspect - is that it?

Regards and thanks again,

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

No, the one in question is prefs.js.

The "system" now is that you are meant to set up a user.js file - which is explained either by following the editing config. files link at the top left of the help link or by going to this site which has a number of comprehensive examples. The user.js data then should get absorbed into the prefs.js file.

Personally, I have had mixed success in some of the customisations "taking". The alternative (which dates back to the Netscape 4.x days) is to exit out of Mozilla (or Firebird) and insert a ENTIRE new line using a text editor - like Notepad or something more fancy if you have it. It tends to be the case that, if you do not follow alphabetical order, the prefs get resorted into alphabetical order in any event.

HTH
    Gre

Lounger
    Thanks

That did it. The directory spec was different since this is Mozilla & the directions were for Firebird. I found the directory that contained other likely-looking .js files (e.g., all.js, security-prefs.js) and put my one-line user.js file there. Works like a champ! Many thanks.

Regards,