Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Viewing History by Date (Explorer 5.5)

Does anyone know if there is a way to view the history by date and time?

Thank you.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Viewing History by Date (Explorer 5.5)

If I were to attempt it, I would do it by using Windows Explorer and sorting the columns in details view by date. From the history pane in IE, you're limited to "by order visited today."
    -Mark

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I don't believe you can get Windows Exporer to give you the "Details" view like that...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Mark, R2--

I thought that's what I was doing but I'm using IE6.0. Granted one of the more fun and interesting things to do is tweak views of Explorer and other components through it and a lot of neat ways to do this have been done in the lounge, but I thought I was selecting to view them by date. See below. Is this some feature unique to IE 6.0?--unfortunately I don't have a bunch of machines handy where I can save or find old versions of IE to test it--I'd have to do some kind of search "history/ sort by dates/ IE 5.5: which I will later.

SMBP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I found a lot of interesting ways to tweak the history bar, associated folders and clean it, but I think that sorting the history by dates in IE 5.5 is part of its interface--I'll have to look for the Windows Explorer "details" view next.

196192:How To Use the History Bar in Internet Explorer 5.0 and 5.5:

<font color=blue>On the History Explorer bar, click View, and then click the appropriate viewing option. You can choose from the following viewing options: By Date: You can display links in the History bar by day or week. If you select this option, the History bar displays a list of folders that contain links to individual pages.</font color=blue>

SMBP

Thanks

Hi, SSchade ~<UL><LI>Open Windows Explorer<LI>Navigate to:[/list] Cocuments and SettingsYour UsernameLocal SettingsHistory<UL><LI>Select a day and then the history you wish to view<LI>On the menubar, select 'Tools' > 'Details'<LI>In the right-hand pane, right-click on the 'Internet Address' bar and select 'Last Visited'[/list]

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Just one more reason to move up to WinXP! Nothing like that in Win98... [img]/forums/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Thanks

Hi, R2 ~

Try selecting a folder, then right-click on the bar that says 'Internet Host'.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce--

Why would you even have to make that move and open Windows Explorer when just clicking on history on the IE toolbar allows you to view/organize by date as shown whether you are using IE 5.X or 6?

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

R2--

I'm not sure if this includes what you mean by getting "details view by dates", but you opt to view dates Accessed, modified, created, and many other options; I'm not sure if this is available in 98 or not. But you may be able to get this done in the registry if you wanted:

Peer Inside Files and Folders With Windows Details View
    225369:How To Change Columns and Settings in Windows Explorer
    222157: Attributes Column is Not Displayed in Details View of Windows Explorer
    241380: "Show Show File Attributes in Detail View" Option Not Available in Windows 98 Second Edition

From these KB's I'm guessing that you may not have these options to show the Choose Details dialogue box when you right click a folder in detail view and click properties, but I'm wondering if you might be able to go to
    HKEY_CURRENT_USERSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVe rsionExplorer
    Advanced

and work with one of the values there to get this done. I'm not sure what all the values do that are listed XP. Would be nice if they had a built in reference or there were one besides digging through registry books like Honeycutt's to define those values, their names and their types--the possibilities of things that can be modified in the value pane for each key and subkey--what you can get done by modifying them.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, I can get that for a given History "sub-folder" -- you are correct. But that means you can only arrange them via date/time within the context of a given "sub-folder" (domain), but not for a given day's worth of surfing -- correct?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can arrange them by order visited today but date, site, or most visited catefories apply 'cumulatively' to as far back as you're saving--for me three weeks. I can't view yesterday's though and within yesterday's view it in the order I viewed it. If there is a way for me to go to yesterday's and have it arranged in the order I viewed yesterday, I don't know what it is--perhaps there is a registry value that can be modified, but I have trouble defining what each and every value means except by trial and error. If there is a reference for this--let me know. I wish it were built into the registry as a component.

You can tweak how much history is saved, and even beyond the gui's offerings for how far back you want to save if you do it in the registry--and how much real estate you want to give up to keep doing it. And it can be very handy--I don't use it enough--I often find myself searching around for the link I could get back to easily via history. I like it even better than "search" at times which has its ups and downs and imperfections no matter how well you use it.

I can pull up all the posts I did in the lounge by order I visited them today and even modify them "through history" if I want--without clicking on "edit post."

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

This is what I'm complaining about or a feature I would add to the Windows registry. Here's a list of values that can be modified--some obvious and some hardly obvious. They have names and types of data--and here's the catch--sometimes the names of the values are intuitive or explicit; sometimes they hardly are. Maybe some users know what they mean from past trial and error. And as Jerry Honecutt says, "When looking at a key's fully qualified path, you have to figure out whether the path includes a value or not. Usually the text is clear about whether the path is to a key or includes a value, but sometimes it isn't" --Microsoft Window's XP Registry Guide p. 19
    Plus ill-behave programs can change a default value to other types besides a string.

What's going to happen when I modify some of these values listed here? I can find out--by trial and error--I can export a key and hope it saves correctly or I can hope system restore works if I don't like what I get. Neither is a sure thing, that's for sure. I'm not sure what some of these values mean and what modifying their strings will do and what string values to give them-- it would be very helpful if there were a built in index for a frame of reference.

SMBP

Thanks

<hr>Why would you even have to make that move and open Windows Explorer when just clicking on history on the IE toolbar allows you to view/organize by date as shown whether you are using IE 5.X or 6?
    <hr>
    It does not display date and time per poster's query.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

It displays date and time by simply right clicking the item listed in History then left clicking Properties on the resulting context menu. The white borders are the entry superimposed on the result of two clicks. Which of the four types of view you're in doesn't matter--two clicks display the information or 'query.'

SMBP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast