2 Star Lounger

Stack Overflow Problem

Recently, when trying to start Outlook Express, I got the following message:

"Terminating thread due to a stack overflow problem. A VxD, possibly recently installed, has consumed too much stack space. Increase the settings of 'MinSP's' in system.ini or remove recently installed VxD's. There are currently 5 sps allocated."

Of course, the next time Outlook Express started up with no problems. But if I should get this message again, where do I find system.ini? Can I edit it in Word, or only in a special editor? Any advice as to how much I should increase the settings of "MinSp's?"

I am running Windows 98 on a 3-year old Dell with 667 MHz and (I think) 128MB of RAM.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Uranium Lounger
    Cincinnati, Ohio, USA

Re: Stack Overflow Problem

SYSTEM.INI is a hidden file living in the Windows directory. In the [386enh] section of SYSTEM.INI add:

<UL>minSPs=x[/list]Where "x" is a multiple of 4 greater than the number mentioned in the error message (in your case, 8). You can edit the SYSTEM.INI by clicking Start - Run and then entering MSCONFIG and clicking OK.