Lounger
    Thanks

Shortcut for After Paragraph Spacing

Here's one for you:
    I support users in a legal environment where we have a very customized "normal.dot" (and other things). One of the components of it, includes 12 pt. "after paragraph spacing". I have some users who want a quick way to turn this feature off in circumstances when they don't want it. I, personally like the feature and find it useful, however, typically ONLY insert/remove it via the Ctrl+0 shortcut, which is actually applying/removing "before" paragraph spacing. (obviously I can't do this in the customized environment either).

So I figured that I'd be able to instruct them to create their own keystroke for the feature. However, when looking at the options available under "customize-keyboard", the choices are entitled: "OpenOrCloseUpPara", or "OpenUpPara" or "CloseUpPara". Upon investigation, much to my dismay, I discovered that all of these features reference the "before paragraph spacing" command, exactly like the existing "Ctrl+0".

Does anyone know a way to be able to create a shortcut for "after paragraph spacing", in order to quickly remove???

donna6197

Re: Shortcut for After Paragraph Spacing

You could create a macro that does this for you and assign a keyboard shortcut to the macro. The following will change the space after to 12 point if it's 0 or 0 if it's 12.

Sub ToggleParaAfter()

If Selection.ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter = 12 Then
    Selection.ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter = 0
    ElseIf Selection.ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter = 0 Then
    Selection.ParagraphFormat.SpaceAfter = 12
    End If

End Sub

Thanks

And this could even be assigned to Ctrl-O since you don't use space before (which I use almost exclusively).

Rather than trying to customize Normal.dot which is fragile and subject to virus attack, you might want to consider using more base templates together with one or more global templates to hold your macros, toolbars and keyboard customizations. See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm>Template Basics</A> (www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), global templates and Normal.dot. You may want to also look at
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Customization/CreateATemplatePart2.htm>How to Create a Template]</A>, an excellent tutorial on the way to create a template that will not corrupt easily and that has a numbering structure tied to styles.
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks donna6197 it works just perfect.